Shake OS v0.19 has been released!

I’m happy to announce that the next version of our Shake OS, v0.19, has been released today!

Remember, Raspberry Shake updates are automatic and do not require you to do anything. As long as your Shake is connected to the internet, it will automatically update within a week’s time.

This is the complete list of improvements and bug fixes that v0.19 will bring to all our users:

Improvements

• Provide fallback DNS servers when DHCP-provided servers fail
  • Identify serial port name (to Shake board) automatically instead of relying on Pi revision numbers. This fixes the problem when new Pi versions are released, but Shake-OS didn’t know about them yet.
  • Non-essential services are disabled to tighten potential security holes, i.e, this disallows unneeded network connections
  • Better WiFi management
  • Better exception logging throughout the Shake-OS
  • FE-config: better password management

Bug Fixes

• GPS clock management now handles the case when GPS clock lock is delayed after system boot-up.
  • GPS: guarantee that ipv6 bindings are always turned off (since ipv6 is turned off at the OS leavel)

This release also includes many under-the-hood improvements and general maintenance modifications. As well, infrastructure modifications in anticipation of the next releases.

And, to conclude, a sneak peek at upcoming functionality improvements planned for the next releases:

v0.20

• Name your own station locally (names will remain the same as now server-side)
  • Re-direct all data writes to a USB memory stick, no configuration necessary, just plug in and play!
  • Set the Shake’s location based on GPS values when a GPS module is attached

v0.21

• Convert outgoing data format and protocol to provide the following
    • Five times reduction in data packet size
    • more stable connection to servers
    • automatic back-filling of data when a connection is temporarily lost due to network issues
1 Like

Hallo Storm chaser,

great to see that ver 0.19 have been released.
Few question
when will Raspberry Pi4 boards be used?
Better exception logging throughout the Shake-OS how can we value this?

3 Likes

Hello jaques,

The Raspberry Pi4 boards are now supported, so the OS will be able to recognize them now. So, in case a user acquires a DIY kit, there will be no problem in using an RPi 4 board.

There are no plans, to my knowledge, to start using RPi4 boards for our turnkey models, but if this should change, we will let our customers know.

Regarding the logging observation, for now, we will likely keep things as they are, with the Shake log files forwarded to us when there is something that is not working properly. Again, if this should change, we will describe the new features to everyone.

Thank you for your comments!

According to my RS Local home page, I have the newest operating system, but I cannot figure out how to get the “server connection” to be turned ON… help? I have re-booted my RS several times, but not changes. I tested my WIFI connection and it says “good”…so help?

Hello knrasmu,

Thank you for contacting us about this. Can you please try, to solve this problem, to navigate to your rs.local/ page, go to Settings (the gear icon high on the left), and then the Data tab. Try unchecking the Forward Data box and, after ~30 seconds, recheck it. Then,click save and restart.

The station should now be able to connect again.

If not, please reboot the Shake again, wait for around 30 minutes, and then please download and send me its logs, so that I can take a deeper look into the matter. Instructions on how to do so are here: Please read before posting!

Thank you.

It would have been very useful, if you had included a link for the Download! I have searched Google and the community, but have not been able to find it!

Hello Brian, welcome to the community!

The link to the new version OS was included in a second post, that you can reach here: Shake OS v0.19 image has been released!

If your Shake was connected to the network, however, it should have acquired the update automatically, but if not, you can use the links in that topic to download it.

A post was split to a new topic: Sd card problems

Hallo Storm Chaser on this issue of going to data forwarding and clicking and unclicking the check box.
I have found this to work and getting the Shakes back online in station view but can up investigate this and try solving it for us.
Cause some guys might have their stations remotely installed and do have physical access to where the are.