Is my Shake just playing catchup?

Hey, I know the system has been battling gramlins the last couple of weeks.

Theres another shake nearby (about 3km) which is producing data on the map but mine isnt. I have done a fresh install of the OS and the other owner told me to contact support as mine should be up and running?

Data Producer : ON
Data Consumer : ON
Off-line Mode : OFF
Data Forwarding : ON
Server Connection : Not Connected

I am : RC74C

Thanks in advance

1 Like

Hi, in RS LOCAL go to Settinga → General and pres save and restart…

After couple of minutes should be connected

Marco

1 Like

Hello topher, and welcome back to the community.

If what Marco advised does not work, and to provide more assistance, can I please ask you to download the logs from the Shake and send them here? If needed, instructions on how to do so can be found here: Please read before posting!

Thank you!

Hi there… thanks to both for the reply… the save and restart didnt work and i have attached my log files in hope to get my shake back and rolling.

Side note, I got it in 2020 and its been a great purchase. I live with some very stable ground (Australian plate) but occasionally something will happen a couple of hundred kilometers away and its nice to see that even that far away, my shake will register some movement, even if no one human even felt it

RSH.RC74C.2024-02-13T22_56_28.logs.tar (1.1 MB)

2 Likes

Hello topher, thank you for the logs.

Happy to hear that you have been (and still are) satisfied with your Shake.

From them, the Shake boots correctly, but it appears that the instrument cannot find an internet connection, with these lines highlighting the issue:

2024 041 11:59:36: Network detection failed, unable to curl or ping common sites
2024 041 12:00:15: Unable to resolve hostname 'raspberryshake.net', most likely no DNS server available
2024 041 12:01:18: Network detection failed, unable to curl or ping common sites```
Network Accessible : NO

Could I please ask you to:

1. shut down both the Shake and your modem/router
  2. disconnect the Shake power and LAN cables
  3. start the modem/router again and wait for it to regain internet connection
  4. reconnect the Shake power and LAN cables (try the LAN cable to a different port on the modem/router, or different LAN cables)
  5. turn the Shake on again

If it still doesn’t connect, could you wait for ~30 minutes, then download the new logs and send them here?

Thank you for the collaboration.

hi stormchaser

Thanks for the reply. Is it unusual that you can connect to the Shake, but it cant connect to server? The DNS server is correct though,… I double checked that.

I have the shake plugged in to ETH as well as Wifi and left it for around an hour and downloaded the logs and theyre attached here

Thanks for the help

Chris

RSH.RC74C.2024-02-16T08_45_39.logs.tar (1.3 MB)

2 Likes

Hello topher,

You’re more than welcome. Actually, it is something that can happen, as the two connections are local (connecting to the Shake) and remote (connecting to the server), and good for us in this case, as it allowed you to get the logs.

And the logs themselves now show that everything should be all right, with your Shake now connected and transmitting data to our servers:

Network Accessible : YES
2024 047 06:23:46: We have an internet connection

I can see data flowing on StationView and DataView

As the work to restore our data access continues (as you saw in the pinned topic: Live Data Issues) there could be times where data seems to be stopping, but everything is being saved and as of now, no data is lost.

If see such “data breaks”, and you are unsure about the causes (your local connection vs our server issues), feel free to send in new logs, and I’ll check them in any case.

great… if you can see it and the logs say its online then I will sit patiently and wait for it to catch up :smiley:

My rs.local still saying its not connected but im sure it will resolve itself eventually. Thanks for the help Stormchaser :muscle:

2 Likes

Addit

I left it a while, then followed instructions here forum post to SSH into the shake and edit /etc/dhcpcd.conf

It took a couple of goes but the shake came online (by rs.local) and can be seen in the shake app even though stationview isnt showing up yet… so I feel a lot happier about it now

Thanks again for the help

2 Likes

Always welcome topher!

For anything else, you know how to reach us.