What is Unit of velocity

I am civil engineer, new to earthquake measurement and RaspberryShake…. Recently procured RS1D and wish your guidance on how to utilise this system. I have placed this unit on firm ground and got some velocity value as. 10,000 M/S
…. And when I tap on top of the unit, I got 40,00,000 M/S…… What is M/S? Also if I click on COUNT… count displays BUT there is no change in values (remains same)…… Please advise.

My basic object to find Moments Magnitude.

Thanks

Rajesh Gupta

Hello Rajesh Gupta, welcome to our community!

To answer your opening question, the unity of velocity is meters per second (indicated in m/s). On some occasions, you could also see micrometers per second (μm/s) in case movement is really small.

However, the numbers you report seem a bit high for a Shake, so I would like to check its logs. Could you please download and post them here so that I can take a look? If needed, instructions on how to do so can be found on this page: Please read before posting!

Thank you!

swarm_console.bat (142 Bytes)
swarm_consol file above…
please clarify:

1. I noticed that … same time ‘shakenet’ app displays in um/s where as web ‘rs.local’ in M/S…
  2. In rs.local web, how do i filter event on distance base… i.e. closest to my station should be on top
  3. I want data over our webpage… how to forward… please
    other questions… later… Thanks
1 Like

Hello,

1. That is correct; our App shows μm/s while our main web application (DataView) shows m/s. It is possible that more units will be added in future updates.

2. As of now, it is not possible to filter earthquake events (I assume you are talking about StationView) based on their distance to your station. This is possible, however, via our ShakeNet App, which you can download for both Android (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.raspberryshake.app) or OS (‎ShakeNet on the App Store).

3. To have your Shake live data on your webpage, you can use the embed function available via DataView. To do so, when your station is online, please open your DataView page (Data View: Raspberry Shake Data Visualization Tool), then click on the live icon high on the right, and then on the embed icon (</>) always high on the right. You can then copy the embed iframe code and paste it anywhere on your webpage.

For anything else, I remain available.

Hi
I have more question:

1. How to clear memory from microsd card.
  2. How to stop loging on my RC68C RS1D… somewhere i read, to not to directly switch off the power.
  3. How to fix RS1D… i m using outdoor unit BUT no hole at bottom of the case…
  4. How to use a pendrive…

i will have more quetions to learn better… shall revert later…
Thanks

1 Like

Hello gauge,

To answer your questions in points:

1. If you want to clear the microSD card, I recommend using the diskpart command. It’s the fastest way to do so, in my opinion, and you can find a guide below:
1) Open Command Prompt
2) Type diskpart
3) > list disk
4) > select disk (# of the microSDcard)
5) > clean
6) > create partition primary
7) > format fs=fat32 quick

Then, to re-burn a new Shake OS on the microSD card, you can follow the steps listed in our instructions/readme here: raspberryShake-public / Raspshake Sd Img · GitLab

1. No, we don’t recommend switching off the power directly unless it becomes the very last resource, as this could introduce potential issues for the Shake. Do you have a link regarding what you have read on stop logging? So that I can help you better; thank you.

2. The only unit that requires to be “fixed” to a hard surface is our RS4D, which includes strong motion sensors (accelerometers) for larger/stronger earthquakes. Thus, that is the only model that presents a fixing hole at the bottom. If you want to fix your RS1D to a surface, you will have to do some DIY, like putting a “brace” with a dampener over the Shake (as one user has done, see picture below) or in some other way.

3. You can find how to install a USB pen drive to store more data here in our manual: How to mount a USB to store the waveform archive — Instructions on Setting Up Your Raspberry Shake