Support for Raspberry Pi 4 Model B (d03115)

Hi there,

I just bought a RS4D DIY kit and added my own Raspberry Pi 4 Model B 8GB (board version d03115), which I also bought a few days ago. I could not make it boot with the newest rapishake image (ver20, in two different SD cards) because the Raspberry would not recognize the Shake board. The green LED blinks in 4 long flashes and then in 4 short ones, which means “Unsupported board type”. I also get this when connecting a monitor:

When using the Raspberry with other operating systems (Ubuntu, Raspberry OS, Manjaro, etc.) it boots fine and works without issue.

Unfortunately, I could only know the Raspberry board version until after I bought it. And it seems that at the moment, this board version is still unsupported. When could we expect this new version (d03115) to be supported?

Regards,

1 Like

Hello Uxyll, welcome to our community.

Yes, as of now the board you are using (board version d03115 ) is not supported, but I will ask our software team if they have an ETA on this and report back to you as soon as I have an answer.

Thank you for your patience.

hello uxyll,

Currently, due to the global chips shortage and the general unavailability of Raspberry Pi products, even newer versions, your Raspberry Pi will not be able to boot from the image available for download. As soon as we are able to acquire one of these newer versions, the base image will be updated to handle the newer Pi models / versions.

However, there may be another solution available to you you might want to try. The image you downloaded is, in fact, not the Shake-OS image itself, but a pre-image, if you will. this image automatically resizes the filesystem to the maximum size available on the SD card you copied it to. The error you are encountering relates to the files associated with this initial start-up functionality.

The Shake-OS image itself, however, may have no trouble at all running on this newer version of Pi (i say with crossed fingers…). To try this, you would burn the Shake-OS image itself to the SD card and, once it is up and running (assuming boot-up is successful), you would need to resize the filesystem yourself if your SD card is larger than 8Gb.

The compressed Shake-OS image can be found within the downloaded zip file, named rshake-os.xz. The steps to burn this directly would be:

1. copy the file rshake-os.xz to a location outside the zip file
  2. decompress the file (tar on linux, winzip on windows)
  3. burn the decompressed file to the SD card using a tool such as balena etcher
  4. if you need to resize your SD card from the command line. this guide, starting from step 7, may be of use to you; there are many any other web-pages and videos that address this question.

If you do decide to try this, I would appreciate to hear your results, or any other issues or observations you may have. The supply chain problem is proving to be longer-lasting than anyone would like.

regards from panama,
richard

Hi Richard,

I followed your instructions for the Shake-OS image and I’m afraid that the result is the same as before. The Raspberry is stuck in the boot sequence with the green LED blinking long and short flashes. The messages on the screen are a bit different:

So it seems that the Shake board still cannot get recognized by the Raspberry.

Regards,

1 Like

hello uxyll,

thanks for giving it a try, sorry to hear that the shake image is not working either. back to the beginning then: we will need to wait until we get our hands on one of these newer units to be able to get our image updated to work with the latest versions of Pi.

cheers,
richard

1 Like

Hi Richard,

after further investigation on “the interwebs”, I found out that the problem we see here is not that the Rapsberry cannot recognize the Shake board, but rather, that the Raspberry Pi 4 model B revision 1.5 (d03115) is not compatible with the firmware/bootloaders from previous revisions (1.4 and earlier). That’s why we get the “This board requires newer software” and the “unsupported board type” LED flashes trying to boot with Shake-OS images ver.19 and ver.20

With this new information, I finally got the Raspberry to boot and run the Shake-OS. This is what I did:

1.- Extracted the rshake-os.xz file from the raspishake-release_v20.zip
2.- Burned the rshake-os.xz file to the SD card using Raspberry Pi Imager v1.7.2. (I’m not sure if there’s any difference in using balena Etcher, as I did last time when I followed you instructions, but this time I sticked to the Raspberry Pi Imager tool.)
Also, no need to resize my SD card in my case, as it is already 8GB. Otherwise, I would have followed step 4 as per your instructions above.
3.- Downloaded the firmware/bootloader files from the official Raspberry Pi repository on GitHub: https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/tree/master/boot. Not all files are needed, just these 16:

fixup.dat
fixup4.dat
fixup4cd.dat
fixup4db.dat
fixup4x.dat
fixup_cd.dat
fixup_db.dat
fixup_x.dat

start.elf
start4.elf
start4cd.elf
start4db.elf
start4x.elf
start_cd.elf
start_db.elf
start_x.elf

4.- Copied those 16 files over the existing ones in the SD card, on the Boot partition and overwrote them.
5.- Inserted the SD card into the Raspberry, turned it on and voilà! It’s alive!

The Shake is running, operational, connected and forwarding data, Yes!

The only minor inconvenient is that the Raspberry model is stated as “unknown”, but I guess that will be fixed in a newer version of the Shake-OS.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

3 Likes

Thank you for your further testing and implementation Uxyll, the step-by-step explanation was just what was needed.

This could prove very useful to future users of our DIY models before we will be able to release a fix in one of our future Shake OS releases!

Hello again Uxyll,

just as a follow-up, the rest of the software team and I want to thank you for your feedback and contribution to solving the issues with Raspberry Pi 4 Model B boards. We now have a fix available to download from here: Shake OS v0.20 image update for recent 4B model builds

You helped greatly in identifying the source of the problem, and this sped-up a lot of work for our team, so thank you again!

I’m glad my findings were useful.

2 Likes