Strange behaviour of the RS

Hello

I have updated my RS to the latest software version and I am experiencing a strange behaviour. The data seems to be acquired with regular gaps. Moreover, initially I could see the data in the shake view web page, but now the station is not visible. Any advice?

Here the log files

RSH.R0A73.2022-01-25T22_02_12.logs.tar (1.3 MB)

Hello manconi,

Thank you for posting the logs of your Shake. From them, nothing appears out of place during the booting process, so we can be sure that the unit is operating as it should.

This is, however, out of place:

Station Info
------------

Data-Sharing Mode : OFF
 Data Server Conn : OFF

Could you please reboot the Shake again and then try the following procedure to see if it solves the connectivity issue?

Please access your rs.local/ page, go to Settings (the gear icon high on the left), and then the Data tab. Make sure that the Forward Data box is checked, and then click Save and Restart.

The station should now be able to connect again.

If it does, then this error is caused by a known bug that we are examining and that will (hopefully) be solved in the next Shake OS v0.20 release.

After this we will look at the other issue of gaps in the dataset, so that we don’t mix them up.

Thanks. The data is now online.

https://dataview.raspberryshake.org/#/AM/R0A73/00/SHZ

2 Likes

That is great to hear!

You’re welcome.

Could you please advice on the data gaps issue? I found this thread and I feel I might have a similar problem with voltage/current…Unfortunately at the moment I don’t have access to the the RS (is located in the field in a remote place…). Do you suggest to switch the system off to avoid damages?

Hello manconi,

I was looking on this matter today and since your Shake is now connecting regularly to our servers (if we, for a moment, do not consider the gaps) we can assume that the gaps themselves are caused by an external factor.

The last logs you have provided show this in the following lines:

2022 025 22:02:11>>	No Data has been received from the MCU in 14 read attempts.It appears the MCU is not transmitting data.  This is a fatal condition and should be investigated if this condition persists!
2022 025 22:02:11>>	No Data has been received from the MCU in 29 read attempts.It appears the MCU is not transmitting data.  This is a fatal condition and should be investigated if this condition persists!
2022 025 22:02:12>>	Data has been successfully received, fatal condition resolved.

The condition appears to be temporary, being automatically solved after a while. The cause of these events can be an insufficient power supply, which creates inconsistencies (or straight-up missing packets) in the data stream, resulting in the gaps we are seeing.

I would advise you to try and replace the current power supply with another, to see if that was really the cause. But, since you said that it is now in the field on a remote installation, shutting it down to prevent damages could be the most effective solution to prevent any possible damage.