I have updated my RS to the latest software version and I am experiencing a strange behaviour. The data seems to be acquired with regular gaps. Moreover, initially I could see the data in the shake view web page, but now the station is not visible. Any advice?
Could you please advice on the data gaps issue? I found this thread and I feel I might have a similar problem with voltage/current…Unfortunately at the moment I don’t have access to the the RS (is located in the field in a remote place…). Do you suggest to switch the system off to avoid damages?
I was looking on this matter today and since your Shake is now connecting regularly to our servers (if we, for a moment, do not consider the gaps) we can assume that the gaps themselves are caused by an external factor.
The last logs you have provided show this in the following lines:
2022 025 22:02:11>> No Data has been received from the MCU in 14 read attempts.It appears the MCU is not transmitting data. This is a fatal condition and should be investigated if this condition persists!
2022 025 22:02:11>> No Data has been received from the MCU in 29 read attempts.It appears the MCU is not transmitting data. This is a fatal condition and should be investigated if this condition persists!
2022 025 22:02:12>> Data has been successfully received, fatal condition resolved.
The condition appears to be temporary, being automatically solved after a while. The cause of these events can be an insufficient power supply, which creates inconsistencies (or straight-up missing packets) in the data stream, resulting in the gaps we are seeing.
I would advise you to try and replace the current power supply with another, to see if that was really the cause. But, since you said that it is now in the field on a remote installation, shutting it down to prevent damages could be the most effective solution to prevent any possible damage.