Shake unable to connect

Just received a Shake 3D yesterday, it did load the latest software (.19), and is generating data, but is not connected to the server. Tried methods described above, still doesn’t connect to the ShakeNet Server. Station ID is RD07C.

Hello fester, welcome to our community!

I’ve moved your post to a new topic so that we can discuss your issue without too much confusion.

Thank you for contacting us about this problem. Could you please send me the log files from your Shake? The instructions on how to do so are here: Please read before posting!

Thanks!

I’ve attached the log files. Config looks OK, getting data to the Helicorder and to jAmsSeis app. Log seems to show attempt, but no connection to the Shakenet server.

Thanks,

Mike D.

RSH.RD07C.2021-10-13T13 33 15.zip (64.5 KB)

1 Like

Hello Mike,

Thank you for the complete logs from your Shake. Yes, the configurations seems all right, and the issue can be identified via these lines in one of the log files.:

2021 285 21:07:42: Network detection failed, unable to curl or ping common sites
2021 285 21:07:42: No internet connection found
2021 285 21:07:42: Network detection failed, unable to curl or ping common sites

This results in:

Oct 12 21:07:35 raspberryshake systemd[1]: ntpdate.service: Failed with result 'timeout'.
Oct 12 21:07:35 raspberryshake systemd[1]: Failed to start Network Time Service.
Oct 12 21:07:35 raspberryshake ntpd[907]: kernel reports TIME_ERROR: 0x41: Clock Unsynchronized

And thus there is no data transmission to our servers, since the clock has to be synchronised for communication to happen.

The fact that you can see the data via jAmaSeis and the helicorder display of the Shake tells me that the local connections are working fine, and that there is something preventing the Shake’s communications with our servers.

To cross-check if the Shake can see our server, could you please log in (instructions here: How to access your Raspberry Shake’s computer via ssh — Instructions on Setting Up Your Raspberry Shake) into the Shake via command prompt with

ssh myshake@rs.local or ssh myshake@shake_local_IP_address

and execute the following command from the command line?

nc -zv [raspberryshakedata.com](http://raspberryshakedata.com/) 55555; nc -zv [raspberryshakedata.com](http://raspberryshakedata.com/) 55556

This will return ‘success’ or ‘connection refused’, which will at least be a direct indication if the unit can see the server and ports it needs to or not.

If the return is a connection refused, please check that if the following ports

port 55555 [TCP]
port 55556 [TCP]

are open, and if not, please open them on your modem/router/network.

In any case, also check that

port 123 for [TCP] and [UDP] traffic in both directions

is also open. This last one is the port needed for the NTP time service, and it is required to keep the data synchronized with our network.

Thank you for your collaboration in this!

Hi

Did some preliminary testing using the links provided to raspberryshake.data.com. None would connect, a port scan of my LAN does of course show the Shake and the open ports are 21, 22, 80, and 111 for FTP, SSH, HTTP, and sunrpc. My LAN to the shake is a Spectrum Cable Modem, into a Tp Link 16 port switch.

Computer is an M1 Mac mini running Big Sur. I’m pretty good on the hardware side of things, but totally inept at coding/programming, but it does seem that the problem is with the connections to the server. Anything else I can check?

Thanks,

Mike

Hello Mike,

Thank you for the tech specifications of your local network. Have you tried shutting down the Shake, connecting it directly to the modem, momentarily bypassing the Tp Link switch, and turning it on again?

It’s just a test to see if the switch was causing the “no connection” issue, or if there is something else that is working against the Shake reaching our servers. From the looks of it, it seems that we are in a local connectivity issue, where something is blocking the Shake from communicating to the outside.

Hi Stormchser

Just reconnected to the cable modem ethernet port (of course I can’t see it on the Network now…), I’ll run it there for the day or so and see if it shows on the station list/map.

Mike

Hi Stormchaser

Still having problems here, even upgraded my old wireless router for a new Tp-Link, seem much easier to configure. Tried port forwarding on the new Router adding 55555,55556 and port 123, but nothing seemed to work. The Router also wanted an “internal port”, no clue what that might be. As I said before hardware for me is one thing, and all the other abstract stuff I usually consign to the “dark arts”.
The Shake is still outputting data to Helicorder and Jamaseis, although it’s taken a mood to not download the logs fully. Any way to reset and start from scratch here? I’ve given a thought to reformatting the ssd and loading 18.4 into it and see if that improves anything. Are there bugs in .19 that might be causing problems???

Thanks,

Mike

Hello Mike,

I tested the v0.19 personally on my local network with both a modem and a router, and connection bugs were not recorded. However, mine is one of the hundreds of thousands of different modem/router configurations that are around the world, so it could be that yours need something more for the data to be transmitted.

You will be able to find a list of all the ports that are needed for the Shake to communicate with our servers here: Firewall issues? — Instructions on Setting Up Your Raspberry Shake

You can re-burn your microSD card to cancel the chances that these issues you are experiencing may be caused by corrupted files. If you choose to do so, instructions are posted below:

I followed the numbered list points to burn the files on my SD cards, and I have not used Etcher or similar software.

After you have done this sequence, please wait for the Shake to re-download the new operating version so everything will be updated to v0.19.

The actual v0.19 image is being processed these days and will be uploaded soon. So, if you want to wait and download that one directly, you can do that too.

Hi Stormchaser

Well I did go ahead and powered down and put the SD card into my reader, I reformatted the card with SD Card Formatter as recommended as the BOOT disc then transferred the contents of the software you see the a link to.
The process was successful and updated to vers .19. After one more reboot to bring up the config page properly I did a IP check with IP Scanner and found the address as expected on my local LAN, it also “pinged” OK, and a port scan showed open ports of
21,22,80, and 111.

As far as configuration goes, as I understand Shakenet would like a static IP address set which I tried to do using the current network address and setting 8.8.8.8 as the DNS Server. It doesn’t seem to save that or even do the “save and reboot”, just keeps running along.

As far as the ports the shake requires for Shakenet I’ve tried setting the new Tp-link Router to port forward port 123, 55555, and 55556 to the external side (WAN), but the Router also asked for the Internal Ports too I really don’t know what this meant but nonetheless tried every open port on the Shake as the “internal” port with no success. All I still get is “server not connected”. It is though outputting data to the Helicorder Channels and Jamaseis as before.

My gut feeling is that the Hardware is OK, (steady blue on the upper board, steady red on the lower board and a flashing green seeming to indicate that all is well with the Hardware…

I also did a direct connect to the Router port to bypass the Switch, but same result. The one other oddness is that on the config page the Logs don’t seem to download now, but I think they’d be saying the same as before, that there’s no Server connection…

Any further testing I can do??

Mike

1 Like

Stormchaser

Although not recommended to connect by wifi, I did try to connect and for reasons totally unknown to me, the Shake is now. Connected to the Shakenet Server. Its now connected by both ethernet and wifi, I’ll watch My Shake and see if data starts flowing on all three channels. Let me know if you can now see it on the Network.

Mike

2 Likes

Hello Mike,

Thank you for both updates, and sorry for the delay in answering you. We had a couple of issues with our services yesterday that took a bit to be solved by our team.

The fact that it connected straight away via WiFi and not via LAN suggests than, as we were imagining, there is a local connectivity issue that is preventing proper server connection. I don’t know why this would not happen with the WiFi however…

Is the Shake still online and connected? Because as of now I still cannot see it on the network, but let us wait for another 24h before seeing what else we should look for.

Thank you for your collaboration!

HI Stormchser

RDO7C is currently sending data to Shakenet and all three channels are visible and taking data. Doing a port scan on both wifi and LAN of the Shake shows the same ports open.

21 (ftp)
22 (ssh)
80 (http)
111 (sunrpc)
16032 (UNKNOWN)
18000 (biimenu)

The Log download is now working and I’ve attached the Log.

Mike

RSH.RD07C.2021-10-22T14 36 20.zip (63.8 KB)

2 Likes