Replaced RaspberryPi

I had to replace my 3B+ RaspberryPi. The one I have been running for some time went down a few days ago and I just got it replaced tonight it is online but not connected to everything just yet it looks like.

The one that quit was my 1D R47D5 it is now R05D2. My new Pi is another 3B+ also… My 4B is doing ok RB537.

It appears to be connected at times then it’s not. I am sure it will take some time before it is fully online and it’s not showing in station view yet either .

I’ll give it a couple days or so and if it’s still not fully connected I let someone here know.

I got a email about it being down this afternoon and I am letting you know I have the old one replaced and new on Pi running sofar.
Thanks

2 Likes

Hello reelfoot,

I can see the same this morning, with data flowing for a bit and then stopping, then flowing again.

Could I please ask you to download the logs from the Shake and send them to me? We can try to take a look and see what could be causing this issue.

In any case, as usual, we remain fully available.

RSH.R05D2.2024-07-08T23_48_47.logs.tar (4.4 MB)

This what u want ?

2 Likes

Exactly what I needed, thank you very much reelfoot.

Now, could I ask you to do the following?

1. Shut down the Shake
  2. Disconnect power and LAN cables, wait for 5 minutes
  3. Reconnect LAN and power cables (in this order) and turn on the Shake again
  4. Wait for ~30 minutes, download the logs from the Shake (if needed, instructions here: Please read before posting! ) and attach them to your next answer?

I would like to compare the new logs after a fresh start with the ones you’ve just sent me.

Thank you again!

The 1 and only thing I did while ago was disconnect WiFi on R05D2 shake and it’s on a lan cable right now. Only on Lan no wifi.
My RB537 is still on Wifi and no problems with it.
Here is the latest log For my R05D2 as you instructed me to do,
RSH.R05D2.2024-07-09T18_33_37.logs.tar (3.1 MB)

Thank You very much for your time and help with this problem.

1 Like

Here is a screenshot of what I see on my monitor

2 Likes

Hello reelfoot,

Thank you for the new logs and the screenshot. I can see the same from my side.

The good news is that the Shake is booting properly, and everything starts as it should. As proof (even if with gaps), data is being recorded and is flowing to our servers.

To address the gaps, however, these lines show what’s going on:

2024 191 18:24:02>>	T°‚BQdEIÐe eÚ
2024 191 18:24:02>>	E
2024 191 18:24:02>>	Ê[TBU¨
2024 191 18:24:02>>		16292	269
2024 191 18:24:02>>	No Data has been received from the MCU in 12 read attempts.It appears the MCU is not transmitting data.  This is a fatal condition and should be investigated if this condition persists!
2024 191 18:24:02>>	Data has been successfully received, fatal condition resolved.

As you can see, the logs you’ve provided contain some “gibberish” mixed with “no data received” errors. These are the reasons why we are seeing gaps in your Shake data stream.

My first thought would be to check and see if the current power supply you are using is continuing to deliver a stable voltage between 5.0 and 5.2V and a current of at least 2.5A at all times, as a decrease in power could lead to data services interruption. If the data interruptions continue to happen, and if you have another Pi power supply that you know is in working condition, please try to exchange the current one with that, and see if the Shake now properly works for longer periods.

A second check that you can do is to see if all the connections between the sensor, the blue Shake board, and the Pi board are still solid and free from dirt or any other element that could compromise transmission. As you have recently reassembled the instrument with a new Pi board, you should find this process quick and easy (but guidance is always available, if required). And, as usual, if you decide to disassemble the Shake when doing this, please make sure you are using proper ESD (ElectroStatic Discharge) protection (such as gloves, etc.), as electronics do not like static electricity too much.

As a last resort, and if all these checks come out as positive, then I would recommend re-burning the microSD card again (or using a different microSD) after formatting and erasing all its data/partitions first (you can use DISKPART for this as it is very efficient), and see how the Shake behaves with the newly installed system, removing potential issues derived from corrupted files. I will leave the burning instructions link here for your convenience: microSD card topics

Thank you for your collaboration.

I went through 4 power supplies the 4th one is working.
It seems to be working fine now.
Here is the log after I found a good power supply.
Thank You very much for your help.
RSH.R05D2.2024-07-10T16_48_10.logs.tar (963.5 KB)

2 Likes

Hello reelfoot,

The change between the old and new power supply is clear as day vs night. Great job in finding a good one!

You’re very welcome.

Hi,
I am getting email saying R47D5 is off line it has been off a few weeks since I had to replace the raspberryPi 3 B+ the new name is R05D2 my RS1D so please remove the R47D5 for me if you can.
Thanks,
Jerry
PS: both of my shakes seem to be running fine on my end after the last issues

1 Like

Hello reelfoot,

First, I am happy to hear that your Shakes are working fine! Always great news!

Regarding the email of your old Shake name, please disregard them if any more will arrive (there should be two of them, at 3 and 31 days after the Shake has gone offline).

The old Shake name will remain on our servers to make it possible for all interested users to check and retrieve the data it has recorded until the Pi replacement occurred.

As always, thank you for your support!

Thank You very much for the help and info.

2 Likes