Raspberryshake 3D disconnected from the server

Dear all,

We have the RS-3D R5DEA installed in a secondary school, it was working properly since this last Friday 27/01 at 14:58:58, when it lost the connection with the Raspberryshake server. He have a cronjob running in the RS to copy each night the data to a owncloud disck and it is working, so the RS has partial network access.

Could you please confirm us that it has not been blocked? Meanwhile, we are trying to find out if the school has made any changes to their network, but it is not easy as network is managed by external people… If we could discard that it has been blocked it would help us to focus the origin of the problem (ports 55555 and 55556 now blocked in the school network ¿?)

Thank you very much,
Regards
Mario Ruiz

1 Like

Hello Mario, and welcome to our community!

As far as I can see, station R5DEA has not been blocked by us. It is possible that there have been changes inside the school network (firewall, protocols?) that are causing this data transmission interruption.

If possible, could you also download and post here the logs from that Shake (instructions here: Please read before posting!)? They could provide us with a clue about what is going on.

Thank you.

Thank you very much for your fast answer! And thanks for confirming that it was not blocked, it must be then the firewall!. I have no direct access to the RS, but I will tray to obtain the Logs, it is not easy…

Thank you very much,

Regards

Mario

2 Likes

correction / update:

the unit was not blocked, however, the IP address was blocked since the connection was being dropped on every incoming data packet due to “read errors” on the socket. this causes problems server-side leaving no choice but to block the IP address.

this has happened in the past many times on the school network there, and i was never really sure what the solution was, perhaps one of your colleagues might know what solution was applied in the past to resolve this problem?

in the meantime i have unblocked the IP address and will check to see if the problem still occurs or not and will report back here either way. if it does, i will block the IP address again and let you know this has happened.

cheers,
richard

Thank you very much Richard!

The network of this school had worked quite well until now, there had been no failure until last Friday. In fact, I don’t see the gaps that used to be seen in other schools with network problems…

Let’s see if it doesn’t fail again.

Thank you very much!

Regards

mario

2 Likes

No, there was never a solution. The schools Internet network is controlled by a government institution and we never managed to solve this kind of problems. In fact, we currently have the RS RDB03 and the R6878 in two different schools, both blocked by the system. We obtain the data with the cronjob and the copy to a owncloud disk.

2 Likes

hello,

the problem seems to have resolved itself:

https://dataview.raspberryshake.org/#/AM/R5DEA/00/EHE

cheers,
richard

1 Like

Hello Richard,

It solved as soon as the IP was unblocked…

Thank you very much,
Mario

2 Likes

Dear Stormchaser and Richard,

We are having the same problem with another station in another school here in Barcelona - AM.RBE49. It was working fine till Sunday, 5, when the power went down in the school, and then it never reconnected to the system. There was no previous micro cuts in the data … No problems with the data transmision to the server.

It has internet connetion as it is copying data to our owncloud disc !..

Could you please check if its IP has been banned, please?
Best regards,
Mario

1 Like

Hello Mario,

from my side, I can see that the Shake is not blocked, but it is possible that its IP address has been blocked as for the other instrument.

Let’s see what @ivor has to say about this. It is highly probable that the two behaviors are related, from what I can read regarding these school networks.

1 Like

hi mario,

no, this IP has not been blocked. i will guess that the reason the data is not transmitting is no lock on an NTP server at startup when the power was restored. (i can see that the unit timed out and has not made another attempt to reconnect since then.)

ask them to reboot the unit, this will likely fix the issue. if that doesn’t work, then we will need to the log files to investigate further.

hope this helps,
richard

2 Likes

Thank you Richard! I asked the teacher to reboot the unit one more time and download the logs. I will keep you informed.

Best regards,
Mario

2 Likes

I’m not sure if the teacher did something, I have not a feedback, but the station is connected again and sending data…

2 Likes