Off-line Mode and GPS

Hi RS Community,

I am planning to install a RS3D in a remote location with no internet. I have turned on off-line mode as that seems appropriate. What are the benefits of off-line mode? I may have just missed it listed somewhere else so my apologies.

In addition is there a way to check that GPS is being used when I have my (windows) computer connected to the RS directly through Ethernet? I tried the suggestion here (Case 3) to check but get “Connection refused” when connected directly to the RS as opposed as through a local network. I was able to check when it was connected through a local network and the GPS was listed. Is that enough to confirm it will be working when I power it on at the remote site with no internet?

Thanks,
Jack

Hello Jack,

Yes, we recommend turning on the Stand-Alone (offline) mode for this and similar situations. I am sure you have already seen it, but this is the dedicated page on our manual if you desire more details: Offline and stand-alone applications (like classroom demos) — Instructions on Setting Up Your Raspberry Shake

The likely reason why you are not able to SSH into the Shake when directly connected to your PC/laptop, instead of a local network (LAN), is that you have to set your PC/laptop IP address to be in the same range of the Discovery IP of the Shake.

More information about this is in these two pages on our manual:
https://manual.raspberryshake.org/ssh.html?#direct-connections
https://manual.raspberryshake.org/discoveryIP.html

Once the IP has been set, you will be able to ‘see’ the Shake, and then verify that the GPS is working properly with the commands that are listed in the page you linked.

Thanks for the information at Stormchaser. Just to clarify, I am able to SSH into the Raspberry Shake but I am not able to get the “ntpq -p” command to work and that is where I get the “Connection refused” response. Changing my computer’s IP address should do the trick?

Thanks,
Jack

Hello Jack,

Ah, then I misunderstood. I thought that you could not SSH into the Shake in the first place, that’s why I listed the Discovery IP manual pages.

It seems a bit unusual that you got a Connection refused after executing ntpq -d. Could you please retrieve the Shake logs and post them here? You can download the logs from rs.local/ (guide here: Please read before posting!) or by copying the entire content of the /opt/log folder in the Shake and zipping it.

Thank you.

Attached are the log files.

Thanks for the help,
Jack
RSH.R502E.2022-09-22T03 23 23.logs.tar (722 KB)

Hello Jack,

You’re welcome. I think I see a couple of things that we can investigate, but before this, can you confirm that you bought both the Shake and the GPS module from us? I ask this because other GPS modules can show issues and/or not work properly with our systems.

Thank you.

Correct, both purchased through you.

Jack

1 Like

I hope to install it later this week so I wanted to follow up and see if there are any suggestions you can provide me with before than to check that the GPS is working?

Thanks,
Jack

Hello Jack,

the software team is reviewing the logs and trying to identify the cause of why the Shake OS is behaving in this way and not recognizing the GPS module.

As soon as I have news from them, I will get back to you with a possible solution.

Thank you for your patience in this.

1 Like

Dear jackcar,

Firstly, I want to thank you again for the notification of this problem between the Shakes and the GPS antennas that were not working. Also, thank you for your patience and understanding while our software team was working to create a solution for this issue.

We have come up with two different avenues:

1. GPS Shake OS update (easier): a new Shake OS image will be released in the coming days, and it will contain this fix inside it.
    If you prefer this option, all you will need to do is re-burn the updated Shake OS on the microSD card of your Shake(s). Keep an eye on this page (raspberryShake-public / Raspshake Sd Img · GitLab) and you can proceed as soon as the update will be released.

2. GPS Fix manual application (more complex). You will need to follow these instructions:

1. upload the attached pl2303.ko (22.6 KB) pl2303.ko file to the Raspberry Pi
  2. copy to the kernel modules directory
  3. add to the /etc/modules file
  4. reboot
# from desktop:
> scp pl2303.ko myshake@raspberrypiIP:/tmp/
> ssh myshake@rs.local

# on Shake-Pi:
> sudo cp /tmp/pl2303.ko /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/usb/serial
> sudo nano /etc/modules
> # add "pl2303.ko" as the last line in the file, no quotes
> sudo reboot

When the Shake restarts, it will be capable of interfacing with the GPS module, and you will be able to proceed from there.

Thanks. I won’t be back at the shake for a few months but I when I do and assuming I can access the sake I will try one of them. Does two require uploading to the microSD or can it all be done through the Ethernet cable?

Jack

Hello Jack,

That is correct. Two can be completed in full via Ethernet cable, and it will not require extracting the microSD card, as instead One does.