I need to pick the brain of someone familiar with SeisComp5

I am playing with Seiscomp 5.1.1 trying to learn as I go but I have hit the wall on some problems. I have it installed and mostly running but… Any experts out there that would be willing to help me troubleshoot my issues?

1 - Trying to connect to my local shake. I have retrieved and imported the inventory, made a seedlink binding (IP and port 18000), created scautopick and global profiles and assigned them. The triangle shows up on the scmv map but no data on right click. I also do not see it in scrttv…

1. I have also brought in the GE and IRIS CI data… I have configured everything as far as I know. I see the stations in slinktool -Q localhost ok. I see the triangles on the map and have QC data colors on the QC tab for them. I do not get velocity colors on the triangles (all are black) but I do see the flashing pick activity. I also do not see any of these waveforms in scrttv and it appears that there are no events being picked/located. (scmaster, seedlink, scautopick, scautoloc, scevent are running)

I must be missing something… can anyone help me figure this out?

Andy Hansis
RE9A7

1 Like

Lessons learned with Seiscomp 5 on ubuntu 22.04 LTS now that I have it working… It took me 4 days to figure things out.

• Make sure you install all of the dependencies that are hidden in the docs. Some will not be the same as in the documentation depending on your linux release and will require some research.

• The current MariaDB release does not configure like the docs say as the docs are for an older release.

• Your local Raspberry Shake 1D seedlink feed on port 18000 is EHZ on channel 00.

• You need to obtain the full dataless seed including instrument response data for all stations you intend to use. This includes your local shake.

• Pay attention to location codes for the stations and channels (BHZ, EHZ, ETC) you want to use and make sure the data is being published by the data center you are pulling the data from.

• There is a large learning curve to finding the active stations with realtime seedlink data from sources like IRIS.

• The BUD Data web page was the best source I found where you could narrow the source down by feed latency to eliminate the inactive stations in any given network and obtain the dataless seed with all the required info including instrument response data.

• Pretty much every Northern California station is restricted in any network, there are only 3 public BK network feeds…

2 Likes

Hello andyaz, that is a very good presentation for anyone who is interested in setting up its own SeisComP local installation with a RaspberryShake. Thank you for posting this.

I will add that, if needed, all the instrument response files metadata can be found on our manual at this page: Metadata - Instrument Response Files — Instructions on Setting Up Your Raspberry Shake

And, for who doesn’t have access to a SeisComP installation, there are other methods to see live data in real time: How to visualize the waveforms in real time — Instructions on Setting Up Your Raspberry Shake

I’m pretty familiar with Seiscomp, I used the versions from 4.0 to the 5.1.1 and I’d say I’m a small expert of the installation. I helped lots of users like you to install it, and as you did I learnd it by myself.
As you said the issues where the dependencies that have incorrect name in the “compile from source code” documentation, and this causes problems for some Linux distros, same with the mariadb database creation.
The other problem you mentioned are small and sometimes not easy to catch for beginners.
If you have further issues you can contact me, I’ll try my best, because some part of seiscomp are still mystery for me as well.

2 Likes

Hello andyaz,
Thank you for posting your response. I am also facing similar issue and as I am a newbie, I am having a lot of difficulty setting raspberry shake RS3D on my local seiscomp server. After months of searches, I am still unable to stream it on my seiscomp. It would be very helpful, if you could some tutorial or can guide us step by step. Thank you

1 Like

What is the issue? The station appears black on scmv? And no waveforms on scrttv?

Edit: what are the bindings you added? Global, seedlink and slarchive?

1 Like

I have resolved the streaming part but still the scmv part is not resolved. The station appears black.
I have used following global bindings
detecLocID -00
detectStream - EH?

1 Like

Unfortunately you cannot use “?” as a global Binding, you must use “EHZ” to be able to see it on scmv. Make also sure you have downloaded the fdsnws containing the responses as well.

1 Like

In my SeisComP I have created a seedlink profile I call “re9a7_local” that is pointed to the IP address of my RS on the local LAN on port 18000.

Global profile I use is named “00EH” and is set for:
detecLocid as 00
detecStream as EH

I have downloaded and imported the Dataless Seedlink data for the station instrument response metadata from the Raspberry Shake Station View. Find your station on the map, click it, and select “Instrument Response” download Icon to download the xml file. Import that file into SeisComP Inventory. See Metadata - Instrument Response Files for more information from RS about the format to use for import based on your RS version.

In the RS itself make sure data sharing of Forward data is checked.

2 Likes

Also, what RS are you using and what version is it? I believe some use EHZ and others use SHZ depending on the shake…
ComponentCode is either:

• SHZ for the RS1D V4/V5; or
  • EH[Z,N,E] for the RS1D V6+, RS3D, RS&BOOM and RJAM
  • EHZ, EN[Z,N,E] for the RS4D
  • HDF for the RBOOM and RS&BOOM infrasound channels
2 Likes

how do i download fdsnws containing responses ?

@andyaz I am using RS3D with EHZ, EHE, EHN channels

What is your shake station ID?

Hello rasp_nav,

If your Shake is connected to our network and transmitting live data, you can download your instrument response from this link:

https://data.raspberryshake.org/fdsnws/station/1/query?level=resp&network=AM&station=XXXXX

Just change the final XXXXX to your Shake name (for example, R1234) and then save the file as .xml.

Otherwise, you can check your Shake version (either on the white label close to the leveling bubble, or, by providing the logs of the Shake -instructions here: Please read before posting! -, I can do that for you) and download the appropriate metadata files following these instructions: Metadata - Instrument Response Files

1 Like

@YacineB But using * or ? is streaming all the three channels on scrttv, but if I use EH or EHZ it streams only the Z component. Is there any correct way to stream all three channels of a single station in scrttv

Sorry for the late response. If you use EH, Z will be automaticly shown in scmv.
If you want to see all components in scrttv you should use the command

scrttv --streams.codes=“AM.*.*.*”
(note the format is Network.Station.LocationID.Channel - such as AU.LHI.00.BHZ, in the parameter you can choose what to show, netowrks, channels etc…)

2 Likes