First steps… how do I access the data?

I just my RS4 up and running. I see my station on the app and it looks great! I want to use my shake to trigger an alarm if some level of shaking occurs. I can’t figure out how to get the time series data to my computer. What is the best method for getting the data to me so that I can l process it?

1 Like

Hello Jellybeard, and welcome to our community!

Firstly, it’s great to hear that your new Shake is up and running, and that you are enjoying it!

There are various ways for you to access data from the Shake in real (and delayed) time, and here they are.

The preferred solution for real-time data streaming is our UDP DATACAST protocol: Raspberry Shake Data Producer UDP Port Output — Instructions on Setting Up Your Raspberry Shake Other users (such as this one: UDP output (datacast) Counts too high?) have planned and realized projects similar to the one you have in mind, so you can also contact them to check their experience and see if they have any advice.

As you will be able to read, the benefits of this method are multiple:

1. this is now the quickest way of reading the data from the seismograph.
  2. connecting to a real-time stream is now completely trivial.
  3. and since there is no limit to the number of UDP ports that can be configured for output, multiple systems can receive the data in real time, e.g., a web page and another program meant to analyze the data, for example.

Strictly connected to the UDP data transmission, is our software RSUDP (all the documentation is here: rsudp 1.1.1 — rsudp documentation). This software, provided as-is, includes many modules that could be of interest to your project, such as event notification modules, Telegram and Twitter alerts, and more. Be aware that the more thorough usage of RSUDP requires operating in command-line enironment.

Also, in command-line environment or via other software, you could also set up a timed routine that would download data packages from the Shake (How to download your data — Instructions on Setting Up Your Raspberry Shake) and then you can operate on them as you desire. This would not be as real-time as the two methods above, however.

Lastly, you can access all data in visual format via our StationView (https://stationview.raspberryshake.org/) and DataView (https://dataview.raspberryshake.org/) portals.

And, for the sake of completeness, we also have a T-30 minutes delayed data output via FDSN Web Services (FDSN Web Services — Instructions on Setting Up Your Raspberry Shake), which is very useful for reanalyzing past event(s) and data.

1 Like