Can't upgrade my Shake Pi

I have a Pi 3 B+ that came pre-installed with Raspberry Shake. I have noticed it’s a bit out of date, so I logged in to try upgrading packages, and here’s what I get:

$ sudo apt upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  dh-python libcomerr2 libevent-2.0-5 libpython3.5-minimal libpython3.5-stdlib python3-distutils python3-lib2to3 python3.5 python3.5-minimal
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] Y
Setting up gpsd (3.17-7+b1) ...
Creating/updating gpsd user account...
Job for gpsd.socket failed.
See "systemctl status gpsd.socket" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
A dependency job for gpsd.service failed. See 'journalctl -xe' for details.
invoke-rc.d: initscript gpsd, action "start" failed.
● gpsd.service - GPS (Global Positioning System) Daemon
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/gpsd.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: inactive (dead)

Mar 26 01:53:21 shake.geerli.net systemd[1]: Dependency failed for GPS (Global Positioning System) Daemon.
Mar 26 01:53:21 shake.geerli.net systemd[1]: gpsd.service: Job gpsd.service/start failed with result 'dependency'.
Mar 26 02:31:07 shake.geerli.net systemd[1]: Dependency failed for GPS (Global Positioning System) Daemon.
Mar 26 02:31:07 shake.geerli.net systemd[1]: gpsd.service: Job gpsd.service/start failed with result 'dependency'.
Mar 26 02:34:13 shake.geerli.net systemd[1]: Dependency failed for GPS (Global Positioning System) Daemon.
Mar 26 02:34:13 shake.geerli.net systemd[1]: gpsd.service: Job gpsd.service/start failed with result 'dependency'.
Mar 26 02:34:48 shake.geerli.net systemd[1]: Dependency failed for GPS (Global Positioning System) Daemon.
Mar 26 02:34:48 shake.geerli.net systemd[1]: gpsd.service: Job gpsd.service/start failed with result 'dependency'.
Mar 26 02:37:18 shake.geerli.net systemd[1]: Dependency failed for GPS (Global Positioning System) Daemon.
Mar 26 02:37:18 shake.geerli.net systemd[1]: gpsd.service: Job gpsd.service/start failed with result 'dependency'.
dpkg: error processing package gpsd (--configure):
 installed gpsd package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
 gpsd
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

I can’t manually start gpsd either. I don’t even have a GPS device attached (AFAICT)… how can I get past this error?

1 Like

RaspberryShake uses a somewhat modified version of Raspbian. It is updated automatically. It does not follow Raspbian updates. You should not be trying to update the OS yourself.

You probably need to re-burn the SD card as described in the manual (on-line).

1 Like

Hello geerlingguy, and welcome to our community!

What Philip has said is correct, our Shake OS is based on a modified version of what normally runs on any Raspberry Pi, so we provide OS updates when they are available (as the latest one, for example: Shake OS v0.20 image has been released!) and do not recommend updating it manually as this can introduce unwanted instability or system unusability.

Regarding gpsd, that is a GPS daemon that is used in conjunction with a USB-connected GPS module. If your Shake does not have this, then the daemon will not be “active”. More details on this can be found here: NTP and GPS timing details — Instructions on Setting Up Your Raspberry Shake

I would also recommend a microSD card re-burn and I will leave the burning instructions here for your convenience:

Once done, the Shake should be able to boot up and work again with no issues. But, if there are any other problems, or further guidance is needed, I remain available.

Just wanted to come back and mention that your process worked—it took a few minutes to get it back online (via wired connection), then I had to enter my WiFi credentials a few times (had to reboot in between, something about the Web UI was not happy lol). But it’s back up and running now.

3 Likes

Hello geerlingguy,

Great to hear this, and happy to see that the Shake is working fine now!

For anything else, I remain available here on the forum.