Building Monitoring Applications?

Has anyone used RS for building monitoring? The hardware is more than capable, that’s for sure. The user interface, though, is a little different than the seismology applications we normally see. We would want to be able to look at an event and quickly get the spectral acceleration and maximum displacement data.

Has someone already built such an interface?

Related, can someone point me at the doc for polling for the shaking data directly from the RS over TCP? That would be a simple approach: download a file and do offline processing.

pnaecker

RS4 can record earthquakes in buildings but not environmental vibrations for SHM.
You can download the record by SSH and then process (Damping=0.7)

In case of 2 units (output and free field), you synchronize time per network.
Then the records of both are searched for the same time

Alejandro

1 Like

To be clear, I don’t care about environmental vibrations. I want to understand my building’s response to a strong earthquake - what shaking was experienced inside, how much did my base isolation protect me, etc.

So can you point me at the docs for how to grab data via ssh? I know how to use ssh to get data - but what data is available in a json or other format?

Also, does the RS by itself have any “alert” capability? I.e., is there any internal process running on the Pi that I can use to set a strong motion threshhold and have it send out some sort of alert when that acceleration is exceeded? (I imagine I could build such a thing, but I’m wondering if anyone already has.)

pneacker

The data can be download from the web as indicated in the forum. You can also download by direct connection through SSH (filezilla-linux / winscp-win) the data in mseed format.
Another option is through Obspy, in the forum there is a script that allows download specifically an event.

The RS4 does not have the ability to trigger or alarm, if you want to implement that you have to do.

Hello pnaecker, welcome to the community!

This is a very interesting discussion! Regarding on how to download the files/traces/data from your Shake, this page on our manual should cover everything you need: How to download your data — Instructions on Setting Up Your Raspberry Shake

The data format of the files is miniSEED (.mseed), and copying the data would be best done with scp protocol.

There is also the possibility of having cloud backup of the data, discussed in this thread here on the community: Cloud Backup

And, if needed, you can also download the data from the FDSNWS service, accessing the entire worldwide network of seismometers. All these options are covered in the download page of our manual.

To conclude, the Shake does not have an in-built alert capability, but our RSUDP software, developed by Raspberry Shake, does! You can find the full documentation here: rsudp 1.0.1 — rsudp documentation