Cloud Backup

So I’m installing a RS on a remote location with hard access, the internet is mobile and unstable, so SSH could be difficult, my best bet is to make regular backups to a cloud service, like DropBox or GDrive, is it possible?? if yes, how?

Thanks!!

Accessing the Cloud service will, of course, require Internet access to work. If the Internet really is unreliable, it might be best to mount a compact SSD to the RPI and map the /opt/data/archive/ directory to the external drive. By calculation, a 100 GB drive would hold about 30 years of RS1D data or 10 years of RS3D. When you get an Internet connection to work, you could bulk-download the stored files.

2 Likes

The location is really remote, requiring at least 6 hours of travel to get access, and must be done weakly, thi is why the cloud backup would my best option, internet might be unreliable, but the files are small and not a problem to a cloud backup done every time the connection is OK.

I only suggest the external drive in case you run too many days without a successful file transfer - you may lose that data.

The details of how to upload will depend on which file server or cloud service you use. The raspberry shake has curl, ssh, node (and more) installed and these functions can be used to do the uploading.

For example, for dropbox, you can have an idea by looking at

2 Likes

Ok so i could make a python algorithm to upload files to dropbox, but now i found that the Python version on RS is 2.7, not 3, and python 2.7 is being discontinued and lost support, any way to make python 3 algorithms run on RS?

hi pablo,

python 2.7 is not going anywhere, and lost support is nothing more than no more updates will be applied. it will continue to function, as it always has. (and writing a simple python program to transfer files from one computer to another will not require functionality only available in python-v3.)

we will, however, be looking at including python-v3 in the downloadable Shake-OS image in a near-future release.

cheers,

richard

Hi Ivor,

I actually got frustrated too early, i dicovered that python 3 is available too with python3 command instead of python, it’s just the default that is 2.7, but i’m still getting issues trying to install the dropbox package, currently trying to resolve those, thanks and sorry for the early stress.

regards,
Pablo Pizutti

1 Like

Hi Pablo,

I know this isn’t the same, and I can’t really tell you how I did it, but with the help of Google, RPi.org and YouTube I created a save point and offloaded the data to OneNote on my personal Microsoft account. In my case the internet goes offline weekly along with the power to facilitate cleanout of the HW storage vault, which resides in a protected Berg Electrical Enclosure (animals get in, which means it gets messy). So every Tuesday night at 7PM local RS time the system is configured to automatically execute a print to Text batch that uploads to the OneNote server.

I actually didn’t know ANY Python or programming language and found it all on Google, Raspberrypi.org and YouTube, so if I could do it with ZERO programming know-how, it should be easy for you. Drop Box may be better in your case. Weekly upload takes about 14 minutes and file transfer is about 2MB of bandwidth.

1 Like

Hey, thanks for the idea,

but now the python program is ready and working, Thanks to Thor, i uploaded it to github, so if anyone need a similar solution its ready, just need a dropbox Token from https://www.dropbox.com/developers/apps put it in the code and run it, can be scheduled with crontab, im running it 3 times a day, i hope to get one good connection every 2 or so days, the code compare the local files with the files already uploade, and just upload the differents or non existing, follow the link:

regards.
Pablo Pizutti

2 Likes

I have a dropbox key and added the Python program to my school Shake, which does not have python3. I guess, if I was using a more recent image, then I would already have python3. How do I install python3? sudo apt install python3 did not work for me and is asking for me to run update, which I know I should not be doing on the Shake. Any ideas?

Hi, did you try to call the function using “python3 dbox.py”???

Both versions of Python can exist at the same time, even specifc version live 3.5 or 3.4.2, you just have to call for them specifically, in my raspberry shake I already had the python3 working, or you can install it by “sudo apt-get install python3” but before doing it test by “python3 --version”, you have to install numpy and dropbox too by “sudo apt-get install python3-numpy” and “sudo apt-get install python3-dropbox”.

Hope I can Help.
regards.
Pablo Pizutti

Hi Pablo, thanks for your help. When I got back into work, I checked again and there is no python3 on my RaspiShake and I couldn’t install it using apt, so I downloaded dropbox_uploader.sh instead, a BASH script, from GitHub - https://github.com/andreafabrizi/Dropbox-Uploader. The instructions are very clear and by putting an entry into the crontab, I am able to back up to a specific folder in DropBox every 15 minutes. I have now tested this from home and it is working, so I am happy and hopefully won’t lose several days data again as I did two weeks ago when my Shake lost contact with the server. Best wishes, Mark