Boom not updating to 0.20

My Boom AM.R489A.00.HDF seems not updating automatically to 0.20.
I already rebooted the device and waiting for the auto update, but nothing happened. Anything I can do by hand?

Many thanks
Jochen

1 Like

Hello jochen.richert, welcome back to our community!

I cannot presently see your Shake online and transmitting data to our servers, so that block may be the cause of why it is not updating to the newest Shake OS version.

Could you please provide the logs from your Shake so that I can take a deeper look into the situation? Instructions on how to do so are here: Please read before posting!

Thank you.

Hi Stormchaser

You are right, I see, the system is showing, No server connection…
Here’s the log …
RSH.R489A.2022-03-14T10 51 12.logs.tar (4.2 MB)

Thanks
Jochen

1 Like

Hello Jochen, no problem at all!

Thank you for the logs. Unfortunately, and this is unusual, everything seems fine from them. The Shake seems to be able to find a network and internet connection, but there is no update and no data to our servers…

Let’s try to see what a fresh start provides us. When you are able to, can you shut down everything, both Shake and modem/router? Disconnect also the LAN cable between the Shake and the router. Then, turn on the modem/router and check that everything is working fine with your other devices connected to it (i.e., that you can connect and navigate the internet).

Now connect the Shake directly again to the modem/router with the provided cable (or, if you have another CAT6 or superior cable, please feel free to try that one too) and check if the Shake gets assigned a proper IP address from the modem/router and is visible on its administrator panel, or an app like Fing (Fing App | Network toolkit and scanner | Fing ), which shows all the IP addresses of any device connected to your local network.

If the IP address is correctly assigned, then please access the modem/router admin panel again and check that all necessary ports are open. A complete list can be found here: Firewall issues? — Instructions on Setting Up Your Raspberry Shake

Once all of this has been done, the Shake should be able to connect, and thus to update. Can you wait for around 24 hours after you have done this operation, and then download the logs and attach them here again?

Hopefully this “operation” will provide more insight in what is happening.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Hi Stormchaser

Firewall rebooted, Boom Power OFF/ON, nothing changed. My IT Infrastructure here is very complex. I have a 60GHz Radio Link to my remote measurement station, GĂĽralp Seismos, Earth Magnetic Field Sensors, SDR Radios and so on. All are working fine, only the Boom device is not communicating with your server. I can ping Google.ch or other addresses all is working fine. My FW is behaving in a standard way LAN2WAN allow all but not Port 138 (Netbios) WAN-LAN deny all.
Sadly my Shake or the SD card died about 3 month ago and is still lying under snow, so I can’t copare both devices. I think/hope, in a month or so, I could reach my digged Shake and get it back online. But this would than be with a ne Memory Card and OS.
Is there a way to manually force an update? You can send me a PM, if this info should not be spread…
Many thanks
Jochen

Hello jochen,

Yes, with installations out in the field, we know that retrieving and examining instrumentation may be an issue, especially with snow and difficult-to-reach locations. Hopefully, you will be able to do it soon and we will have something for a comparison.

Yes, it has to be some kind of network configuration that has to be done in a certain way for everything to work fine. At least this is what I imagine from the configuration that you have.

If all the ports are correctly configured on your firewall, then it may be worth to contact your internet provider to see if they have changed something in their protocols. We have had similar situations in the past where providers would close ports or transmission streams for reasons and after users contacted them, they were able to transmit data again. It’s another possible way to explore.