Why does CPU usage increase over time

Hi
I have been monitoring my Raspberry Shake using MRTG and just wondered why the CPU useage should increase as the day progresses . You can see it quite clearly here

daily%20use
weekly%20use

Just curious really as to why

Regards

Graham

1 Like

Pumaman
October 30

Hi
I have been monitoring my Raspberry Shake using MRTG and just wondered why
the CPU useage should increase as the day progresses . You can see it quite
clearly here

Just curious really as to why

Regards
Graham

@Pumaman @GM8ARV we are looking into this. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Hi

Any more info on this ?

Regards

Graham

I monitor stats on all my machines, including a Boom, Shake 3D and Shake 4D.

I see this only on the 4D, but that could be because I query the Boom and 3D regularly to display on my web site (thus, drowning out the CPU differences that would otherwise be obvious).

One possibility for the behavior is that the archive files grow larger throughout the day. I have no knowledge of how the shakes are determining what delta to send to the Raspberry Shake servers, but if the entire current day’s files are examined, larger files later in the day would result in more CPU being used.

1 Like

The other part of this is that the current day’s archive file is likely read and processed many times to generate the heliograph. This will use more CPU when the file is bigger. None of this will use much CPU, but we aren’t dealing with a big spike.

1 Like

hi graham,

unfortunately, time has not been very cooperative in allowing us to take the time to look into this in depth since this is not a critical issue that affects the operations of your unit in any way.

as jkline notes, there are various processes that work on day-long time scales (e.g., mini-SEED files are 24 hours long). however, regarding the data server, all data is immediately sent out the door, there is no local buffering for later forwarding to the server.

cheers,

richard

Hi Richard

No problem - I was just curious as to why that’s all

Its not causing any issues

Kind Regards

Graham

1 Like