Where Is Forum Headed?

Over the last few months and years I have observed more and more questions and the answers are more related to programming and less to seismology. Would it be possible to create an additional forum here for Q & A regarding seismic events and possibly images of member’s catches?

I appreciate those members that are programmers or Linux/Python savvy, but it seems that many are branching out into other uses of Shakes, other than seismology. Frankly, it is hard to follow and understand some of the programming language questions or their purpose.

This is NOT a complaint. With the forthcoming “Python Library”, possibly included in ver. 16, I am a little worried that this trend is headed to programming and not seismology. Just an IDEA to ponder…
Regards,
Jerry

Hi Jerry—not to worry, we’ll always be driven by seismology before anything else! I would also love to see more activity in our #special-events category, which—alongside #quake-questions—is the one we’ve set aside specifically for seismological stuff.

That being said however, I am happy to provide answers to programming questions. Numerical seismology is the heart of the matter these days, and if folks want to get a boost in learning it, I’m happy to help them get started. You too, perhaps? :wink:

Thank you for the suggestion - BUT - wouldn’t that be exactly what I am describing: coaching language rather than seismology? I appreciate your expertise as do many here that have depended on it. You definitely are a PLUS for those experimenters and deviating from the intended use for the Shakes.

You have answered my question.
Regards,
Jerry

1 Like