Weatherproof Enclosure Cabling & Specifications

I want to place a Boom away from the house and lessen noises from a heat pump, washer/dryer, and other household noises. I live in the Deep South with its bugs, humidity, dew, rain and sometimes wind. A Boom in an Enclosure appears to be what is needed to prevent damage from bugs, water, and wind.

With a Boom placed far enough away from my router and to where I am not willing to drill a lot of holes in my house, Wifi becomes a solution but the signals can be weak and in need of a boost such as from an unit like this:

which requires an ethernet cable from the unit to the Boom. This raises a number of questions that I have not found answers to online here and elsewhere:

1. Does the provided enclosure attenuate the infrasound signals?
  2. The enclosure has 3 external connectors protruding from its casing.
    What are they used for? (e.g., keyboard, mouse, monitor, ethernet, test port, etc.)
    What is their standard size? (They appear to be M12 female connectors)
  3. Where can I purchase an Ubiquiti to the Boom ethernet cable (RJ-45 to M12 4 pin female).
    (I think the Ubiquiti has an RJ-45 connector under its cover.)
  4. If there is no such cable, I assume I will have to make one.
    What are the connection specs?
    What wire goes from what pin to the other pin?

Hello PeterBerry,

This sounds like a very interesting project, with many issues to overcome, but that promises great results.

To answer your questions:

1. It does not. The infrasound sensor is connected to an external nipple along the enclosure wall, which guarantees continued data acquisition. If the location is affected by wind, however, you could consider implementing a wind shield, as shown here on our manual: Raspberry Boom (RBOOM/ RS&BOOM) Infrasound Monitors — Instructions on Setting Up Your Raspberry Shake

2. The three connectors for the enclosure are for: power supply, LAN cable connection, and GPS cable connection. They are indeed M12 connectors.

3. I assume some hardware stores may have them, or you could look for them on eBay, sometimes there are many custom-made cables on that portal.

4. We already ship, together with the external enclosure, a M12 to RJ45 cable, so you will be able to use that oneand connect it to the Ubiquiti, if it has an RJ45 port on it.

If you need anything else, I remain available.

Thank you Stormchaser. This is good information. It is not easy to see the nipple you are talking about from the Shop pictures.

You raise “many issues to overcome”. The more I delve into the math, I can see your point. I think I’m resolved to purchase a Boom and try to triangulate with much more distant Boom(s) who captured the same sound to see if it can be determined by timing where the sound came from and a possible (range of) altitude. Speed of sound and general wind speed and direction would be major factors. Lots of variables. Many unknowns. Many assumptions. Should be interesting

Thanks for listening as I “talked out loud” and for being there!!

1 Like

It was not a problem at all, you’re welcome!

I remember trying to do the same regarding a meteor disintegration event in Norway some months ago, when a BOOM was successfully able to capture the air pressure wave caused by that phenomenon. After all the math, it had been a quite fun experience.

If you don’t mind my asking, what were you trying to determine mathematically? Was this for verification purposes or something else? Did you write anything up that’s available online?

I can see where you would have a long but very short lived meteor track high in the atmosphere with a lot of variations in air density, temperature, fast/slow moving upper air streams with varying directions, etc. between points on the track and the Boom. Since Norway is mountainous, did you see any indications of echos? Just curious.

Absolutely, feel free to ask!

It was a mere personal verification exercise. I wanted to check if (since the Norwegian Meteor Network provided estimations of atmospheric re-entry characteristics and disintegration height, here: Meteorrapport) the numbers would match an approximate free-moving air perturbation wave (shockwave) that moved from the origin point to the Boom that recorded it (Finally - a meteor passed just over our village! - #2 by Stormchaser).

In this case, we even had a webcam recording the event, so it was a very interesting little math calculation, to see if everything matched between “seeing the flash”, “hearing the sound of the explosion”, and “seeing it recorded on the Boom”.

Unfortunately, I haven’t had the time to write anything as of now, but I have something that I am slowly trying to prepare.

With all the modern recording devices, having that sort of data is actually amazing!! Then being able to work with it… That’s so cool!!

2 Likes