Using SAMBA

I am using SAMBA on many Raspberry Pi cards to access NTP logs in /var/log/ntpstats and it works very well. However, when adding the lines:

[ntp]
comment = NTP log files
path = /var/log/ntpstats
read only = no
guest ok = yes

to the smb.conf file, I get “System error 5” in Windows. I note that the smb.conf file is missing dozens of lines that the other Raspberry Pi cards have. Can I simply substitute my own smb.conf file if I retain your [group] share? This used to work until about 2019-Mar-12, so I don’t know what happened then.

Advice, please.

Thanks,
David

hi there,

would it be possible to provide your version of the file to us so we can have a look?

and / or, please feel free to try it out yourself and see what happens. the samba file was modified to deal with resolving rs.local in some instances where it was previously not working.

thanks,

richard

Buenos días.

It is great to see you here David!

branden

ivor Leader
January 14

hi there,

would it be possible to provide your version of the file to us so we can
have a look?

and / or, please feel free to try it out yourself and see what happens. the
samba file was modified to deal with resolving rs.local in some instances
where it was previously not working.

thanks,

richard

hi david,

not sure if that’s what you meant? was there more to your message than a repeat of mine?

richard

ivor Leader
January 14

hi david,

not sure if that’s what you meant? was there more to your message than a
repeat of mine?

richard

Yes, I posted my configuration file, but below your text. I’ve replied separately, but the issue was resolved by reinstalling SAMBA, and copying a known good configuration file from another PC. The re-installed resulted in a completely blank configuration file which isn’t what it should do. I’ve sent you the error listing.

2 Likes