Using hostname other than rs.local

Is use of the hostname rs.local necessary for any aspect of the software? I have a couple of 1D from the original Kickstarter. Am setting one up for the first time and completely rebuilding the config of the other. They will reside on different non-routable networks on East and West US coasts respectively - with different local domain names. Because I will have admin visibility to both networks, my preference is to name both quake and differentiate based on the local network domain.
Tx,
Robert

Hi Robert, this is a good question. We are looking into allowing custom DNS names in a coming release. In many cases, I think this would make it somewhat easier for users to keep track of their devices.

At the moment I think there would be no issue with implementing it, however we have to make sure that current rs.local and auto-incrementing rs-n.local functionality works the way it should, and that DNS name collisions with custom names (should they occur) are handled gracefully and logged appropriately. We’ll let you know what we end up deciding.

Hi @Sheltoneast, we discussed the possibility of custom DNS names this morning. There should be no issue with supplying your own DNS names.

The way to do this is to edit /etc/avahi/avahi-daemon.conf.

sudo nano /etc/avahi/avahi-daemon.conf

The line you’ll want to change is this one:

host-name=rs

then save and restart.

For obvious reasons, if you ever lose track of what you named the Shake you’ll need to use some service like Fing or avahi to find the name of the device again.

Thanks Ian! Won’t be a problem losing track of host names - I use
DHCP reservations and fing as well. Will implement once the SD
cards arrive. I placed that order today.

Tx,

Robert

1 Like