USGS Sensor Data

Is it possible to track/plot USGS seismometers in the Shake system.
I have an app on my laptop that USGS provides free of charge that shows recent earthquakes but it just drops a variable sized circle at location and gives a notification of event.
The have various networks and I think it would be a good tool for me to educate myself on the shake system. .
I get notifications for sensors located near certain towns or geographic reference points so that I can school myself on seismically active locations

Hello yellowfin1,

This feature is now available, for the Shake network, only as a reanalysis tool. EQLocator (https://locator.raspberryshake.org/) will allow you to see waveforms for different stations in an area, and also approximate the epicenter of an earthquake by estimating the P and S wave arrivals.

We do not have the possibility of tracking USGS seismometers in our Shake network, only Shake units are available. In possible future releases, unfortunately with no ETA as of now, it may be possible that a similar “geographical area alert” could be added as an enhanced feature.

But if I download USGS data for a station I can look at it via SWARM or other tool?

How are you going to manage when some of old Pi code you use is deprecated?

Seems like at some point, future 64 bit Pi computers may be incompatible with software you are running.

Im running 64 bit Pi OS on several Pi’s I own and when I saw old date stamps of various components in the Shake software it generated question.

I see what looks like a predicament as people scattered around globe with older Pi detectors risk being obsoleted out of commision.

Yes, if you download files in the most common formats (.sac, .mseed, for example) than you can directly open them with SWARM by going to “File” → “Open File…”, and select it from your download folder.

Regarding your other question, as it has already happened in the past, and we needed to do some adjustments, we will release appropriate and automated patches and OS upgrades to the entire network, so that no station will be left behind and all can continue to operate normally. Maybe, for some, a manual interaction will be needed (in case of offline stand-alone stations) but we will then release precise instructions on how to proceed with the necessary updates.

Out of curiosity is any of the ShakeNet data shared with the USGS @Stormchaser?

1 Like

I leave the answer to that exact question to the Shake people.
I can tell you that in several instances USGS is getting the data from universities. This relates to the volcano observatories specifically in regards to what I have looked at.
For example, University of Utah (Yellowstone Volcano Observatory) U of U Seismograph Stations

A good starting point for who is monitoring earthquakes and the regions monitored is ANSS - Advanced National Seismic System

International Federation of Digital Seismograph Networks

1 Like

Hello guillochon,

The USGS has tested our Shakes in the past, you can find pictures and an article here, on the RS4D:

https://www.usgs.gov/media/images/raspberry-shake-4d-rs4d
https://pubs.er.usgs.gov/publication/70203350

Regarding the data, all is available via our FDSNWS service, open for everyone and many users are already integrating our Shakes into their monitoring systems alongside other agencies.

1 Like