Use of pm with UTC Time in EQ Sound / Error Loading File in EQ Sound

Wanted to check out EQ Sound to share earthquake noises with my grand-daughter, so I selected my RS station from the dropdown, found an event (Panama-Costa Rica Border Region
– 2.9 – Fri, Apr 23, 2021 6:24 PM) which defaulted 6:24 PM into “Trace Start Time” and then tried to load the file, only to be told, “Please select a value in the past”!!! So I’m guessing 6:24 pm was Panama time, whatever UTC time zone it is in. My understanding of UTC is that there are no am & pm usages within a 24 hour clock, so should this web app not just stick to UTC and then this time zone-related error will not occur?

Hello MRT1953,

Thank you very much for your feedback on EQSound, we have forwarded the UTC issue to one of our software team, and it is being taken care of.

Regarding the second problem you have listed, the “Please select a value in the past” one, I tried to replicate by inserting the same data you have (thank you for your detailed explanation), but I wasn’t able to replicate it, and the system worked fine.

Remember, however, that the “sound” produced by a quake will be the proper one only if your Shake has registered it. It is unlikely that from your location you would have captured a M2.9 from Panama. You should try to start with stronger events that happened even a bit more far away from your position. Our ShakeApp (here: Mobile and Web Apps — Instructions on Setting Up Your Raspberry Shake) can give you insight if a particular quake has been recorded by your station, and you can try to plot that one in EQSound.