Unable to change my profile email address. Bug in the process?

I’m moving to a new email address and I’m trying to update my email address on ShakeNet (and the forum, which I think is linked to the ShakeNet login).

I go to the User Settings tab on ShakeNet and the field under my username is email address. I edit that to my new email address and click Update. It pops up a message saying that it will send a confirmation to my NEW email address. However, the confirmation goes to my OLD email address and the text of that email says I’ve entered that OLD email address as my email for ShakeNet…but actually no, I entered my NEW email address.
No confirmation message goes to the NEW address.

I still have access to the old email account for now, but confirming that emailed link does nothing…the email doesn’t get updated. I log out and can log back in with my old email address still.

Hello NiskayunaWeather, and welcome back to the community!

Thank you for reporting this issue to us. I have tried replicating it on my side with a test account I have, but I was able to change my reference email without this bug appearing (using the latest version of Chrome). Have you tried changing your email address from the same page (the correct one, as you have found) after clearing your browser cache and cookies?

If that doesn’t work, can you please try using a different browser or private windows? On some occasions, these methods have successfully solved this “loop” you find yourself in.

Thank you.

I just tried using both Chrome incognito and a different browser (Edge). Same problem.
While the text of the email says I entered my old email address as the updated address, I did notice something…in the email that was sent (to my old address), under the Verify button there is a alternate copy and paste URL. Looking at the URL, it does have the correct Old and New emails embedded in the link, but when I click on the link I get this error on the resulting webpage:

" Error

Sorry, there was an error"

That URL starts:

(https://auth.raspberryshake.org/Account/ConfirmEmailChange?token=)

1 Like

Hello,

Thank you for the additional tests and feedback NiskayunaWeather. I will pass everything on to our server team, as this generic “error” is something that needs to be investigated.

I’ll update you as soon as I receive news from them. Thank you for your patience and apologies for this issue.

It’s been over 2 weeks so I’m checking in on this error and inability to change my email address.

Hello NiskayunaWeather,

I have asked for an update from the team, as I assume this is being a harder-than-expected fix to apply.

We renew our apologies for this extended delay.