Unable to access shake web interface

As mentioned in a separate post, I have two of the original Kickstarter shake 1D units. One is being configured for the first time now, while the other unit’s config is being rebuilt from scratch due to host failure. The unit that was in use had v1 before the pi failed. I don’t recall how I configured it - too long ago. The other had the v0 that it was shipped with, but as of today has been upgraded using the manual method to v1. I’ve been attempting to connect to the web UI. Access via ip-address:5000 does not work - the web site does not display. Ditto with port 80,8080 (just to cover the bases) and hostname:port variations. I am using B+ machines that have been decommissioned out of my cluster. In my email I found early discussions with RS tech support about the web site problem on pre-V3 pi machines, and notice that those issues were fixed in v2. My challenge is to get from v1 to v2 using these B+ pi machines if possible. Will this unit proceed to auto-update to v2 and beyond? Advice?
Tx,
Robert

Hi again Robert, a couple comments and questions:

1. Given that you’ve had these Shakes since the Kickstarter, your microSD cards may now be worn out. Have you replaced either card? If I had to bet, I’d say this is likely the issue. The first cards we shipped with were low-quality and wore out easily. Yes, version 2 should update automatically, but probably nothing will happen anyway if the card is corrupted!
    You can check if the Shake SD cards are likely corrupted by verifying their behavior against that described in the manual: http://manual.raspberryshake.org/burnSD.html#how-do-i-know-that-my-microsd-card-is-corrupt-and-needs-to-be-replaced
  2. If you do replace the SD card(s), I suggest downloading a fresh copy of the OS (now version 15) and using the instructions in this document to copy it to the new card(s).

If you do end up needing a new card, I recommend a high-endurance MLC-grade one like this or this, or a pre-burned one from our shop, also high-endurance MLC.

If you have any questions, please let us know.
Cheers,
Ian

Thanks Ian. May buy from your shop so I can pick up a couple of enclosures. Are weatherproof enclosures still available? I could not find them in the shop. If not, we can enclose the indoor units - but waterproof would be preferable.
Thanks,
Robert

I have a 1D that is a few months old but have been unable to connect via : rs.local or raspberryshake.local or http://192.168.1.14 (it’s IP address from my router).
I tried the 1D initially on a RaspberryPi B original and then on two different model 2 B versions. Neither had much on time, so doubt the SD card is worn out.
I’m able to ping the board and get a response at the 192.168.1.14 IP address. I have loaded two different versions of the Bonjour server software links in another rs.local problem thread. I also have the Advanced IP Scanner which gives me confirmation of the .14 IP address and that it is “live”.
I’ve tried Chrome and Firefox with rs.local, raspberryshake.local, and http://192.168.1.14 andwith the :5000 port called out. All either say “refused to connect” or “This site can’t be reached”. rs.local just goes to a white screen as does raspberryshake.local.
I tried three different PCs with three different operating systems: Win7, Win10, Ubuntu.
The lights on the RaspberryPi and 1D daughter card show powered on and connected to the router. Not sure if any updates have happened. But have left them on long enough that anything should have completed if it was going to.
I tried some of the commands in the SSH comments unsuccessfully. Have rebooted everything a number of times in the past few days.
Not sure what to do next. But rebuilding the SD card is a bit beyond my understanding so far.
Every help session string seems to end in success long before I get to anything that works for my three RaspberryPi’s.
Thanks for any ideas you can give me.
Charles O

Yes, they are available here:

Hi Charles,

When did you purchase the 1D, and did we supply the SD card you’re using?

Ian

Just found the order #3101 Dec.12, 2018. It was just the RS1D daughter board. If the SD has to come from RaspberryShake.org that is not made clear in all the reading I’ve been doing lately of manuals, fast start info, and FAQs. I had assumed the 1D daughter card contained any firmware needed. If not, where does the creation of the SD get explained and downloaded from?

Charles

Hi Charles,

Apologies for the misunderstanding. The SD card does NOT have to come from us, we allow you to burn the OS image to your own SD card if you wish. I will update the manual to make the burning process more clear.

1. The OS burning process is explained in part here: https://manual.raspberryshake.org/burnSD.html#how-to-burn-the-raspishake-image-to-your-microsd-card

2. The OS is available as a zip file from this repository: https://gitlab.com/raspberryShake-public/raspShake-SD-img

3. and explicit instructions for burning to the card are available here: https://gitlab.com/raspberryShake-public/raspShake-SD-img/blob/master/raspishake-microSD-card-software-Instructions.txt

Ian

Thanks Ian. I created the SD card and have the RaspberryShake online now.
I need to relocate it to a somewhat quieter environment.The last 16 hours didn’t show much of a quiet time even at night. Will try to relocate to the concrete slab of my garage.
Charles

1 Like

Thanks Ian.

I created the SD card and have the RaspberryShake online now.
I need to relocate it to a somewhat quieter environment. The last 16 hours didn’t show much of a quiet time even at night. Will try to relocate to the concrete slab of my garage.

My location is very poor for this kind of thing. I’m near a busy road and several construction sites. Have been into seismology for about 25 years. About 20 of those using WinSDR and WinQuake via the Public Seismic Network. At one time I was streaming 4 channels live to a real time website from a very quiet location and the local TV station would call me for comments on any quake that made the local news. Have a Mark Products L4 sensor and three axis spike mounted outdoor sensor. But none of those are in North Carolina where I am now. Left them with a friend who has a quieter location on a mountaintop away from traffic.

Just seeing what I can do locally to demonstrate it to students. Looks like the RaspberryShake will serve that purpose well.

Charles

2 Likes

Cheers Charles, I’m glad you have it up and running. Again, apologies for the miscommunication.

In regards to your location: no worries that it has a lot of noise. Mine get a lot of foot traffic and road noise, and they’ve still been used to solve for hypocenter locations without a problem!