Two units, one name: rs.local collision

I have both a Shake (RS1D) and a Boom (RBm) on my LAN. Both of them now claim to be “rs.local” and it’s a coin flip which one actually shows up in the browser by that name, every time I try it.
RS1D (Pi Zero W) 192.168.1.130 AM.R79D5.00.EHZ
RBm (Pi 2 Model B) 192.168.1.140 AM.RC93C.00.HDF

The Pi Zero W with address .130 is connecting through a USB-Ethernet device, not wifi. Maybe that is the reason why the two units don’t recognize each other and one hasn’t changed to rs-2.local for example? However, as I recall it used to work some time ago. Or is this the fault of my router? Below are nmap reports for the two devices

Nmap scan report for 192.168.1.130
MAC Address: 00:0E:C6:B4:79:D5 (Asix Electronics)

Nmap scan report for 192.168.1.140
MAC Address: B8:27:EB:93:C9:3C (Raspberry Pi Foundation)

hi john,

i really don’t think it should matter how they physically connect, as long as they are on the same sub-net, which they seem to be.

can you do the following test?:

1. power-down both units
  2. power-up only one
    2.1 wait until rs.local is assigned and working
  3. power-up the other
    3.1 confirm rs.local remains assigned to the first unit
    3.2 check if rs-2.local is assigned or not

and report back your findings.

thanks,
richard

Hi Ivor, thanks for the reply. Before doing that, I tried simply rebooting one of the devices, selecting that option from its web page. This worked. The device I rebooted now appears as rs-2.local.
A few weeks, ago a power failure rebooted them both at the same time. I presume neither one saw the other during its boot, so both assumed they were alone, and able to claim the rs.local name. I don’t know how you could easily prevent that happening in general, when all devices reboot at once.

1 Like