Tonga Volcano Jan. 15 2022

Hmmm… I kind of doubt this. Your plot is from a seismic sensor, and the event happend at ca 04:15 UTC that day. Seismic waves would reach Germany already roughly 20 minutes later. This was a 5.8 mag earthquake, and it is not totally crazy to think a RS might be able to pick it up. But propagation of sound waves happens much slower but by the time the infrasound reaches Germany, it shoud be so weak that it doesn’t couple into the geophone enough to show up there as a significant event (and it’s not supposed to do that). Also it looks like the infrasound reached Germany later than 18:30 UTC that day, e.g. see my plots. So whatever it is in your plots, it is too late to a be seismic signal from that event and too early to be induced by the sound waves, IMHO.

Right?
HBE

EDIT: also note that the time at the beginning of the plot is 17:30 UTC, not 18:30 UTC . It’s really too early to match observations of the infrasound detections in Germany.

1 Like

You are probably right HBE. Times to not match. I will dig into this further. It`s my first significant event to analyse. Thanks for the hints!! Helps me building up knowledge.

1 Like

It`s my first significant event to analyse.

To quickly spot strong events just by eye (works both for seismic and sonic data…so I’m not completely off-topic here…) you can go to https://stationview.raspberryshake.org , pick your station, click on “24 hour plot” in the station info box on the left hand side and this gets you to a web application that looks a lot like SWARM. The advantage of this is that you can apply a filter to the 24 h data view (use the setting icon on the top right and the “filter” symbol below it to toggle the filter ion and off). For seismic data, a band filter from 0.1 to 1.5 Hz works well in many situations. Strong events will then stand out very clearly in your data, e.g. the screenshot is showing filtered data of your station from 11th of Jan. It detects a strong EQ near Cyprus (highlighted in zoom window) and another one near Alaska later that day around noon.

I’m not so sure what the best filter settings would be for typical infrasound events, but maybe others here can comment on this.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for your help HBE!! Did not know about the filter. Its really usefull.

1 Like