Time from install to data available

Just a data point as this seems to be a frequent interest for new users. (At least it was for me. :slight_smile: )

It took about 31 hours from first contact to data available in Station View.

For a new user who finds this message, your local status summary (rs.local) should include something like this:

If that is the case, the connection should show up in the 24-48 hours mentioned in the documentation. You are not outside normal until 48 hours or so.

ETA: Reviewing my logs, I note that I rebooted my Shake less than a half hour before it showed up in Station View. If you get to 24 hours without being visible, you could try a simple reboot from the Actions tab. Based on previous responses, a reboot and waiting 30 minutes is a good first step before collecting the logs and requesting help.

2 Likes

It took mine about 2 hours.

2 Likes

Good to know.

I’m kinda hoping folks will drop their experience in this thread.

2 Likes

Thank you both, Traveller and jimg (welcome to our community!) for your feedback regarding this.

We always take note of our Shakers’ experiences and strive to build upon them to provide an ever improved service.

Threads like this one provide invaluable observations, so thank you for opening it. Hopefully other users will add their thoughts in the coming days.

Hi, I’m trying to learn more about the Raspberry Shake machine before I put it together with ~11 students in a summer program. Once we connect the RS to the power cord and ethernet cord, it takes 24-48 hours for it to appear on the stationview.raspberryshake.org website, correct? Is there any way to view data from our machines immediately, in some other view? Such as, if I wanted to set my shake on a table, then drop some items on the table to be recorded, can I do that immediately or does it take time for my shake to record any data at all? I’m a little lost and trying to make sense of it all. Thank you!

2 Likes

You can connect to the Raspberry Shake directly almost as soon as you connect it to your network.

This is done by using a browser on the same network to connect to the Raspberry Shake at http://rs.local

This will take you to a summary page regarding your Raspberry Shake. From here, you can access Settings for configuring the Raspberry Shake. There is also access to the Helicorder which will display the data collected. These are presented as static images of a 12 hour window of data. You can refresh the display to see newer data.

It is also possible to download SWARM from the Raspberry Shake. This software needs Java to run, but once working on a computer on the same network, can provide a running display of the data collected by the Raspberry Shake.

Both of these options are available as icons in the lower left of the summary web page.

If you haven’t already, check the Quick Start Guide, particularly the part about Turning your Raspberry Shake on for the first time.

Note that the videos show an earlier version of the interface when the web page was at raspberryshake.local instead of the current rs.local. Also, if you have more than one Raspberry Shake on the same network, the names will be rs.local, rs-2.local, rs-3.local, … , rs-n.local.

2 Likes

Thank you! I have checked the quick start guide, but some of it wasn’t very clear. You have answered my question, thank you!

I have another one. We are going to have 11 students connecting their raspberry shakes all in the same room at the same time. How do you tell each raspberry shake apart? I am having trouble finding the answer to this question. Thank you!

1 Like

The best I can come up with to identify each device is to connect them one by one and use a network scanner to find the one just connected and note its MAC address, then stick a label on that device with the MAC address.

Then look for the MAC address in the net scanner to determine the (current) IP address and use that to connect rather than trying to use the rs.local, rs2,local etc.

1 Like