System status remains on 'BOOTING'

Hi,

After running seamlessly for a few years, it seems from last week my device has been stuck on the system status ‘Booting’. Locally the device is working fine and quakes are been picked up into the phone app but the live feed is saying the device is offline.

Can you please assist?

log files attached.RSH.RE4AA.2022-11-20T23_28_06.logs.tar (4.3 MB)

Cheers
Sean

1 Like

Hello Sean, happy to see you again in the community!

Could I please ask you to re-download (or re-attach) the logs, as when I try to open them I get an error message? Thank you!

As far as I can see from our side, your station is online and transmitting data to our servers, albeit in a delayed fashion due to the server issues that we have been experiencing since last week, and that we are working to solve.

Have you already tried rebooting (or shutting down, disconnect the power cable, reconnect it, and turning it on again) the Shake to see if the Booting system status disappears? Also, please check that the power cable is fully inserted into its connector, as sometimes a slight disconnection can cause that message to be displayed.

Hello, thanks for the speedy reply. Yes, I have rebooted several times and for completeness I have done this again with all your suggestions. Unfortunately the System status remains as ‘booting’. Please find attached a new download file.

Thanks
Sean
RSH.RE4AA.2022-11-21T22_12_33.logs.tar (4.1 MB)

Hello Sean, it’s no problem at all!

Thanks for the new logs, these opened fine. From what I can see, there are some issues during the booting process of the Shake that, in the end, do not particularly affect the Shake data acquisition and transmission, and, most likely, only show up with the Booting status that you can see.

Apart from the server issues we are working on in these days, your Shake is connected and streaming data to our servers themselves, so it is still working fine.

The Booting issue would be likely solved by re-burning the Shake OS on the microSD card. As things are still running fine, I would not advise to do it at this stage, but if you want to do it in any case, here’s the link where you can find the necessary files and all the instructions to burn it: raspberryShake-public / Raspshake Sd Img · GitLab

Hello, unfortunately I have the same problem with RF9F7, system status is “BOOTING”:

You can find the logs in the attachment.
RSH.RF9F7.2022-11-23T17_07_35.logs.tar (5.0 MB)

1 Like

Hello Stormchaser,

It seems like overnight a fix has been done to bring back online many RS’s globally, including my own. I still have the status of ‘booting’ but the main issue I had was being offline to the Shakenet network and phone app. Maybe it was the server problems that you mentioned that has now been fixed?

Cheers
Sean

2 Likes

Hello Sean,

Yes, a fix has been deployed overnight for the server disconnection/data delay/offline station issues, and we are now monitoring the situation closely to see if further actions are needed.

Regarding your Booting status, indeed, it doesn’t seem to be affecting your local data recording and transmission capabilities, as the Offline message appears (in this case) for server-related reasons.

Hello ozanguven, welcome back to our community.

Thank you for the logs from your Shake. It seems that, similarly to Sean’s case, the fact that the Shake displays a Booting status is not impacting its data recording and transmission. With an equivalent approach, the Booting issue would be likely solved by re-burning the Shake OS on the microSD card. As things are still running fine, I would not advise doing it at this stage, but if you want to do it in any case, here’s the link where you can find the necessary files and all the instructions to burn it: raspberryShake-public / Raspshake Sd Img · GitLab

Regarding your points, I will answer them one by one for clarity:

1. & 2) This is related to a server issue our team has been working to fix since last week, and that is causing Shakes to appear as offline, with delayed data display or data interruptions. As soon as the problems are corrected, the Offline message and the data gaps will disappear.
  2. Our new QuakeView product will show randomized stations regarding any earthquake in any region of the world, so that the Shakes that appear will always be different (if there is a high enough number of them), giving every Shaker the chance to be displayed in one of the plots.

EDIT: our team reminded me that there is also another fix for the Booting Status, with the procedure to apply it explained step-by-step here System Version: 0.20, System Status: Booting - #8 by ivor and the file to download for the procedure here: System Version: 0.20, System Status: Booting - #12 by ivor

1 Like