Swarm setup on ubuntu

Good day;
had the RS and swarm (rev 1 or so) a few years ago, then went ‘away’ for a while and now I can’t get swarm to work again.
I know my station is operative; can see it with ‘station view’, but can’t get swarm to cooperate.

• since I have an openJDK version of java I downloaded the swarm zip file swarm-3.2.0 from USGS: Volcano Hazards Program
  • extracted the files and moved them from the ‘download’ directory to my own space
  • navigated to the folder where the downloaded files are kept and typed >sh swarm/sh
  • got this error back:
    giovanni@giovanni-dualboot:~/applications/swarm-3.2.0$ sh swarm.sh
    Exception in thread “main” java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: Can’t load library: /usr/lib/jvm/java-11-openjdk-amd64/lib/libawt_xawt.so
    at java.base/java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(ClassLoader.java:2633)
    at java.base/java.lang.Runtime.load0(Runtime.java:768)
    at java.base/java.lang.System.load(System.java:1837)
    at java.base/java.lang.ClassLoader$NativeLibrary.load0(Native Method)
    at java.base/java.lang.ClassLoader$NativeLibrary.load(ClassLoader.java:2445)
    at java.base/java.lang.ClassLoader$NativeLibrary.loadLibrary(ClassLoader.java:2501)
    at java.base/java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary0(ClassLoader.java:2700)
    at java.base/java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(ClassLoader.java:2651)
    at java.base/java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary0(Runtime.java:830)
    at java.base/java.lang.System.loadLibrary(System.java:1873)
    at java.desktop/java.awt.Toolkit$3.run(Toolkit.java:1399)
    at java.desktop/java.awt.Toolkit$3.run(Toolkit.java:1397)
    at java.base/java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    at java.desktop/java.awt.Toolkit.loadLibraries(Toolkit.java:1396)
    at java.desktop/java.awt.Toolkit.(Toolkit.java:1429)
    at java.desktop/java.awt.Component.(Component.java:621)

what am I doing wrong?
any help will be appreciated.
please copy your suggestions to gdeamici@yahoo.com (if not too much trouble).
Thanks.

1 Like

Hello gdeamici, welcome to our community!

Mmm, I looked around a bit regarding this error, and it may be associated with the fact that you may have installed the headless version of the openjdk package that SWARM requires to run.

If you haven’t already, could you try to reinstall it with sudo apt install openjdk-11-jdk? This should, hopefully, solve the problem, and if nothing else is amiss, SWARM should start.

Thanks.
that solved the immediate problem (getting swarm to run in ubuntu) but created a new one.
How do I add the RS universe of stations to the source menu?
I figured how to add my own station (using rs.local as the identifier) but I would like to see the entire AM.xxxx.SHZ universe.
Any suggestion?

1 Like

Hello gdeamici,

Glad to have been of help!

Regarding adding the entire list of RaspberryShake stations, you can do it as follows:

1. Open the Data Chooser window from the Window menu
  2. Create a new Data Source by clicking on the relative icon
  3. In the new window that appears, assign it a name as usual, and then go to the FDSN WS tab
  4. In this tab, please insert the following:

Dataselect URL https://fdsnws.raspberryshakedata.com/fdsnws/dataselect/1/query
Station URL https://fdsnws.raspberryshakedata.com/fdsnws/station/1/query

1. Then, if not already selected, select Need Update from the dropdown menu, and then click on the Update button.

It may take a while, but after the process is complete, you should have the entire network list available.

Also, I want to use the occasion to provide you with our alternative means to SWARM, our DataView portal: https://dataview.raspberryshake.org/

It provides the same functionalities that SWARM us, and more, so I eagerly recommend it. Also, feel free to provide any feedback on what we could improve/add to this instrument so that it will be able to perform better and better for our users!