SWARM installation problem

Good day,

I am a student and would like to access the network of raspberry shake stations at the university I study using Swarm. I don’t have this network configured on my computer. Would it be necessary to have access to the raspberry shake’s IP and be connected to the same internet network as the university? I am trying to access the SWARM.zip file through rs.local, but I have not been successful. I would like to know how I can install Swarm and get access to the stations, since rs.local does not work? Do I need to use an IP from the raspberry shake? Can I use the same IP that the university uses? If so, can I have access to the data even when I’m not using the same internet connected to the raspberry shake IP?

1 Like

Hello Brenna, and welcome to our community!

If using SWARM is not a strict requirement, and the Shakes of your university are connected to our ShakeNet transmitting live data to our network, you can use DataView https://dataview.raspberryshake.org/ (to view the Shakes’ recordings) and our FDSN service Raspberry Shake FDSNWS - DataSelect (to download the data) in place of SWARM.

However, if these conditions are not met, you can download the SWARM software from here: USGS: Volcano Hazards Program

It will be necessary for SWARM to operate in the same LAN (or VPN) the Shakes are connected to, and you will need to know the IP addresses of all the Shakes you require access to. In this case, your uni IT team, or maybe your professor/supervisor, can help set up everything as every local network can be different from another.

Once SWARM is installed and your connection configured, you can access the data from the various Shakes by setting up a Winston Wave Server for each one in this way:

1. Open the Data Chooser window from the Window menu
  2. Create a new Data Source by clicking on the relative icon (the first)
  3. In the new window that appears, assign it a name (the Shake ID, for example), and then go to the Winston Wave Server tab
  4. In this tab, please insert the following:
  • IP Address: the IP of the Shake
  • Port: 16032
  • Timeout: you can leave 15.0 seconds. Also, leave the checkmark in the box below this field.

You will have to repeat this process as many times as the number of Shakes you want access to. Once completed, you will have a list of Data Sources in the Data Chooser window, and you will be able to access each channel of each Shake by double-clicking on the Data Source and expanding the menu lists.

Bear in mind that SWARM is no longer maintained by the USGS, so some features may not work properly anymore.

1 Like

Thank you for the reply, I will try your suggestion to configure the network IP in the Swarm. :smile:

2 Likes

Adding to Stormchaser’s reply, you can access all the RSs in the network (not just the ones your university runs) using this IP address: caps.raspberryshakedata.com

1 Like