Swarm install issues, no local Shake

The Swarm installation instructions appear to assume a shake is on the users local network, which is not the case for me. I have gotten it installed and running but had several difficulties. I used the following instructions, which did not work for me on several points.
https://manual.raspberryshake.org/swarm.html#swarm

We have a Shake installed at our clubhouse and others may want to install swarm to view the data. I have a few questions on the instructions I am preparing (for Mac OS X 10.14.5 at present).

1. I obtained the Java and Swarm software from the following link. Is this lilky to remain a reliable source?
    https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/software/swarm/download.shtml

2. I was not able to run swarm without first installing the Java development kit (Java 12.0.2). Is this correct? The raspberryshake.org instructions do not mention this.

3. From the folder where shake.sh resides, “$ ./swarm.sh” does not work in terminal. “sh swarm.sh” does work. Do you know the reason for the discrepancy with the instructions?

4. While Swarm appears to load and run normally, I do get the following warnings in terminal.

WARNING: An illegal reflective access operation has occurred

WARNING: Illegal reflective access by io.netty.util.internal.PlatformDependent0 (file:/Applications/swarm/lib/swarm.jar) to field java.nio.Buffer.address

WARNING: Please consider reporting this to the maintainers of io.netty.util.internal.PlatformDependent0

WARNING: Use --illegal-access=warn to enable warnings of further illegal reflective access operations

WARNING: All illegal access operations will be denied in a future release

2019-07-20 01:20:25 INFO - Your platform does not provide complete low-level API for accessing direct buffers reliably. Unless explicitly requested, heap buffer will always be preferred to avoid potential system unstability.

Hi Russel,

I run swarm on MAC OS. You do not need a Shake on your network for swarm to work.

1.) Yes the URL you cite will always have the most current swarm
2.) The URL in the manual for the swarm install points to the jdk version.
3.) the ./ merely says to the OS “look in this folder for the thing that follows” you need to be sure that swarm is there. If you add the folder that swarm.sh is in to the environmental variable PATH you will not need the ./ (google adding a location to the OS path.
4.) All that stuff is probably from having called swarm.sh improperly (just guessing) I have never seen those complaints from the OS.

Swarm works well and the users of your clubhouse will love it!

Angel

1 Like

For what it’s worth, I also get these warnings. I imagine they are due to the version of java running. They’ve never caused me any issues.

Some unofficial answers. I understand if you want to wait for the moderators to reply.

1. I think this is a good source. While I downloaded from the shake at home, I also downloaded from usgs from one of my work machines.
    2.You need Java. You could have also downloaded a much smaller Java Runtime Environment (JRE).
  2. “chmod +x swarm.sh” will make the script executable so that you won’t have to type “sh”.
  3. I recall similar warnings; but have not had an issue with functionality.
1 Like

Oops. Sorry for replying to this old post!

1 Like

jkline,
No problem. I learned a few things.

Thanks

1 Like