Support for Raspberry Pi 4 Model B

hi,

support for the 4 Model B isn’t quite there yet. it turns out the Pi foundation themselves released the raspbian OS with a bug related to the serial port, which we make use of, quite extensively, as it turns out.

once they release the fix as part of the OS source code, we will be able to continue with our testing and the release. an announcement will be made when the new image is available.

apologies for the inconvenience,

richard

Got it. Waiting is not an issue. I just didn’t want to wast my time if it didn’t work.

1 Like

How are you going to handle station identification with RPi 4?
The MAC addresses no longer start B8:27, but DC:A6, so the last 4 digits may not be unique.

1 Like

there was never any guarantee that the last four digits would be unique, nor does this requirement exist.

see here for a complete discussion. but basically: if the name has already been taken, the first letter changes from R to S, all the way around the alphabet. it will be a very long time indeed before we have to worry about what to do with the 27th conflict.

cheers,
richard

That’s interesting. I didn’t realize the station ID is based on the MAC. I’ve got my 3D up and running on an old RPi 2B as AM.R0104. I guess it will change IDs when I switch it to an RPi 4. Ditto for my 4D and Boom as I’m likely to switch those to RPi 4s also, when the 4s are supported.

1 Like

Hi @jkline

Good afternoon from quarantine (the whole team went underground 5 days ago).

We have released support for the Raspberry Pi 4 Model B. Click here to read the release notes. The microSD card image has been updated.

Have fun Shaking!

Yours, branden

Thank you, Branden!

We are all sheltering in place here too (San Francisco Bay Area). I wish you and all your families a safe journey through this crisis.

2 Likes

Hi Branden,
My apologies if I got this wrong, I just received my new RS4D today and assembled it with a Raspberry Pi 4 Model B. I downloaded the latest image as linked, and extracted it to a new 8GB MicroSD card. The Pi will not boot, claiming the image is out of date. (See attached photo). Am I missing something? Thanks.

Andy. (RS Newbie)

hello,

release for 4-Model-B support is imminent. we had previously released an image to support the new Pi, but became aware of an issue with the serial port where the OS version required to support 4MB was not interacting with the data transfer from the MCU over all time well enough to meet our quality standards.

consequently, the image supporting 4MB was replaced with the previous image that does not provide support for 4MB versions of the Pi. in the intervening time we have been working to find a solution to this problem and after digging very deep into the OS have identified a solution and have been in the process of testing this to confirm its veracity. testing is nearing completion and once certified, we will again update the image and make an announcement.

in the meantime, you will either have to use a prior version of Pi, if you happen to have one, or wait for the release of the updated image.

apologies for the delay, the update to the new Pi model has turned out to be more issue-laden than we would have liked. but since we have a dependency on a computer made by another company, this is a fact of life we can’t avoid.

warm regards,
richard

Thanks Richard, I’m just glad it wasn’t me being a bit dumb! :slight_smile:
Happy to wait for the new release.

Best wishes,

Andy.

1 Like

hello,

an update on Shake-OS 4 Model B support:

the Shake-OS image available for general download, found here, now provides full support for Raspberry Pi 4 Model B computers for use with all Raspsberry Shake seismograph types.

cheers,
richard

1 Like

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks! :slight_smile:

I’ve downloaded and unpacked the image, and started the unit. It doesn’t seem to want to start correctly though. I connect to the web page (rs.local) and get this landing page: rshake
Happy to provide logs. From the postboot log, I can see the following entries:
“Setting Serial Port Name: HW Revision: d03114 / Port Name: /dev/ttyAMA0
Unable to read Firmware version number off of Serial Port /dev/ttyAMA0 after trying for 15 seconds, cannot continue!
Is the Pi computer connected to the Raspberry Shake Board? Please confirm and try again.”

In addition, attempts to use the onboard WiFi interface just keep resulting in ‘Given credentials not valid’ when testing a WiFi connection. Any thoughts welcome!

Thanks

Andy.

Hi Andy,

can you do me a favor and list the output of the file /proc/cpuinfo ?

we will find the problem and get this fixed ASAP!

richard

Sure thing.

processor : 0
model name : ARMv7 Processor rev 3 (v7l)
BogoMIPS : 108.00
Features : half thumb fastmult vfp edsp neon vfpv3 tls vfpv4 idiva idivt vfpd32 lpae evtstrm crc32
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant : 0x0
CPU part : 0xd08
CPU revision : 3

processor : 1
Features : half thumb fastmult vfp edsp neon vfpv3 tls vfpv4 idiva idivt vfpd32 lpae evtstrm crc32

processor : 2

processor : 3

Hardware : BCM2835
Revision : d03114
Serial : 10000000623d66cb
Model : Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.4

Thanks,

Andy.

hi andy,

hmm, it seems there are some new revisions out now i was unaware of, but i am now!

we will update the system as soon as possible and make a new image available post-haste.

apologies for the troubles, i will update you when the new image is available.

richard

Thanks Richard, it’s really appreciated :slight_smile:

hello,

the image has been updated and should work now with your version.

cheers,
richard

1 Like

Again, thanks Richard. The software is working fine when I use wired ethernet. However if I try to use Wireless, I keep getting ''The credentials supplied are not valid". I’ve tried this with a number of access points that I have, with very simple passwords (using WPA2 pre-shared keys) Ideally I’d love to use the wireless option to allow me to install the unit in a quiet corner of the house, but it’s not urgent as I will use a Wireless bridge in the meantime. Thoughts?

not sure your specific configuration details, but try with these instructions and see if you don’t get a different result: (all these must be done as sudo)

1. delete the file /etc/network/interfaces - it is no longer needed for Pi raspbian
  2. edit the file /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf and set the network and password accordingly
  3. edit the file /opt/settings/user/enable-wifi.conf and set to ON as the last line of the file
  4. reboot

we have tested this here on multiple units this is working fine. when this continues to not work, can you send the log files so we can have a look?

thanks,

richard