Station R50D6 - data not appearing on Stationview page

Hi,
I installed and registered station R50D6 some weeks ago. There were some issues with the network but it should be solved now. I tested a list of servers and ports listed in Firewall issues? and both the ports and the servers are accessible from the machine (see below).

myshake@raspberryshake:~ $ date
Thu 31 Aug 13:10:01 UTC 2023

myshake@raspberryshake:~ $ host raspberryshakedata.com 
raspberryshakedata.com has address 144.91.66.87

myshake@raspberryshake:~ $ telnet raspberryshakedata.com 55555
Trying 144.91.66.87...
Connected to raspberryshakedata.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
^]
telnet> quit
Connection closed.

myshake@raspberryshake:~ $ telnet raspberryshakedata.com 55556
Trying 144.91.66.87...
Connected to raspberryshakedata.com.
^]
telnet> quit
Connection closed.

myshake@raspberryshake:~ $ telnet caps.raspberryshakedata.com 16022
Trying 195.201.196.227...
Connected to caps.raspberryshakedata.com.
^]
telnet> quit
Connection closed.

myshake@raspberryshake:~ $ telnet localhost 16032
Trying ::1...
Connected to localhost.
^]
telnet> quit
Connection closed.

myshake@raspberryshake:~ $ telnet raspberryshake.org 443
Trying 144.91.126.111...
Connected to raspberryshake.org.
^]
telnet> quit
Connection closed.

myshake@raspberryshake:~ $ ntpstat
synchronised to NTP server (10.255.0.137) at stratum 3 
   time correct to within 17 ms
   polling server every 256 s

As the machine’ s status page shows that the status of “Server connection” is “connected” and the clock is in sync, is it possible for someone to check if the server is accepting the machine’s data please?
Thanks.

2 Likes

Well, the station shows up.
But no data:

I think @stormchaser has seen issues like this before after initial connectivity problems, and knows who to talk to to get it fixed.

Just check that you are actually generating data by connecting locally and looking at the helicorder data.

2 Likes

Hello durhamh, and welcome to the community!

Thank you for providing the initial troubleshooting results you’ve done. I will ask our server team to check as soon as they are online in their time zone.

In the meanwhile, could you please download the logs from the Shake (instructions can be found here, if needed: Please read before posting!) and post them here? This is to cover our bases on all sides.

Thank you!

Hi @Stormchaser thank you for your prompt reply. I uploaded the logs. I noticed the line that begins with

('network: ', {u'dhcp': False, u'adapter': u'eth0',

in file rsh-fe-hst.log. I had problems with the shake because it would not take its IP address and other settings from our DHCP server so I had to alter /etc/network/interfaces to:

# iface eth0 inet manual
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

manually.
I can also confirm that the device logging helicorder data.
Regards,
Durhamh
RSH.R50D6.2023-08-31T14 02 59.logs.zip (108.3 KB)

Hi, I forgot to mention that some data made it to your servers on the 31st of August (see attached picture).

Hello Durhamh,

You’re very welcome, and thank you for the logs and the screenshot! In particular, the last one shows what I can read from the logs themselves. While I can see that the Shake manages to connect to our servers, there appears to be something in your local network blocking the transmission, as these lines suggest:

2023 243 13:53:25>>	DDSsend(): Send error: 0
2023 243 13:53:25>>	sendDClientDP(): Error sending data ... 
2023 243 13:58:48>>	DDSsendDP(): message send failed after 61 retries, closing connection.

Can you check if your Shake IP (and MAC) address are allowed through any firewalls or port routing/mapping of your router? if you need a complete list of ports/anything firewall related, you can read here on our manual: Firewall issues?

Our server team reported to me that your Shake is not blocked on our side, and can transmit data at any time without issues.

1 Like

Hi @Stormchaser thank you for your prompt reply. Can you tell me what is the combination of port/server that appears to be blocked?
In addition, on the documentation on firewall issues there is a list of servers and ports that must be open. Shall I assume that all those ports should be open for outgoing traffic only?

1 Like

Hello durhamh,

No problem at all; always available!

More than the ports per-se, we have found that there are some modem/routers that will automatically close a port if they detect too much traffic on it, like with the constant connection that the Raspberry Shake has.

That is why I suggested checking if the Shake IP (& MAC) addresses were allowed through the firewalls, in case your situation was similar to the one described above. The user who, at the time, reported that issue, ended up changing the entire modem/router to solve it, but I wanted to see if we could avoid that with a faster (and definitely less expensive) permissions check.

Regarding your query, the ports below

are the ones needed for the Shake to communicate with our servers continuously. The ones labelled TCP should be open for outgoing traffic, while the UDP should be open for incoming traffic.

1 Like