Server Connection - Not Connected

Dear Richard & Tech Support

This is Beng !

I just reconnected back my RShake but the Server Connection is showing “Not Connected”.
I have ssh into my Pi and could ping 8.8.8.8
Attached is my log files.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

With my best regards
Beng RSH.RCED4.2020-09-12T15_06_03.logs.tar (4.2 MB)

Hello Beng, welcome to the community!

From the logs (thank you for posting them) it appears that your Shake has its ‘Stand-Alone’ Mode turned ON, and that’s why there is no connection to our servers.

To turn it OFF, follow this procedure:

• Go to the rs.local address from your browser
  • Check that at the voice Stand-Alone it says ON
  • Click on the hammer icon high on the left, Actions
  • Click on the Actions tab
  • Click on the first button to turn the Stand-Alone Mode OFF
  • If it asks you for a password, insert the one you put during the configuration, or use the standard one if you haven’t modified it: https://manual.raspberryshake.org/commonlyAskedQuestions.html#what-is-the-username-and-password
  • Reboot your Shake with the second button

Since you were able to ping 8.8.8.8 this means that you have an internet connection, so after the reboot everything should go fine.

Please remember that sometimes it can take a while before the station appears on StationView or on Shakenet, so do not worry if you don’t immediately see the data online.

hi
I also got server no connection since few days. I try using fix adresses and changing dns to 8888 with no luck.
here is my log…

Tanks for help…
RSH.R1516.2020-09-22T12 16 34.logs.tar (3.2 MB)

Hello levesqs,

I have seen that you have changed the DNS of your shake, let’s try this to see if we can get some kind of response.

To check that you can reach the internet and our servers, can you try to SSH into the Shake by entering this command in a prompt (with admin authorisation):

ssh myshake@rs.local

Remember that if during the configuration you have changed the password, you should input that one, and not the provided default (which is shakeme).

Once you are in, can you try and ping the following addresses?

• ping 8.8.8.8 -c 10
  • ping 104.200.16.60 -c 10

The first one is the Google server, which you will recognize, while the second is our data server. The two commands will execute the exchange ten times, and your expected result is a 0% packet loss for both instances.

I’ll wait for you to try this before going forward.

hi,

in actual fact, your unit a few days ago was connecting to the server and immediately disconnecting due to a socket read error, usually an indication of a network problem on your side, most likely at the ISP. this constant connect / reconnect behavior is detrimental to the server’s performance and so your IP address was banned.

i have undone the ban and will watch to see if this problem has resolved itself (it usually does).

feel free to reboot your unit to guarantee start from a clean state.

cheers,
richard

1 Like

hi
ping 8.8.8.8 ok time 14ms
ping 104.200.16.60 ok 58ms

I am back today without knowing why. here an other log…RSH.R1516.2020-09-24T03 59 31.logs.tar (3.3 MB)

Hello levesqs,

yes, your station is back online and forwarding data to our servers, as it can be seen on StationView: https://raspberryshake.net/stationview/#?net=AM&sta=RCED4

For the why, please refer to Richard’s post just below my first answer.

A post was split to a new topic: RS doesn’t connect

Hello I have the same issue but I can’t find the Stand-Alone option anywhere, my shake is connected to the internet but not to 104.200.16.60

I forgot to attach the log files RSH.R5BCA.2022-05-24T14_49_01.logs.tar (2.6 MB)

Hello ShaimaGued, welcome to our community.

Thank you for the logs. I can confirm that, indeed, your Stand-Alone mode is turned ON, and that is why the Shake is not connecting to our servers.

To turn it off, you can click on the Actions icon high on the left (hammer), then go to the Actions tab and click on the Turn off-line mode OFF button.

If the Shake still does not connect, then please reboot it, and after it has turned on again, please check that the Forward Data box is checked. You can find this box by clicking on the Settings icon high left (gear) and then on the Data tab.

thank you for your answer, I burn the raspberry shake image to the sd card and I was able to connect it

2 Likes

That is great to hear ShaimaGued,

Happy to have been of help!

Hello
After some days of tests, the station doesn’t arrive to connect to the server. Internally, it records the signal correctly.RSH.R7D08.2022-08-21T19 00 59.logs.tar (957 KB)

Hello Urkupayawar,

Thank you for posting the logs of your Shake. From them, nothing appears out of place during the booting process, so we can be sure that the unit is operating as it should, at least when it is started.

This is, however, out of place:

Station Info
------------

Data-Sharing Mode : OFF
Data Server Conn : OFF

Could you please reboot your Shake again and then try the following procedure to see if it solves the connectivity issue?

Please access your rs.local/ page, go to Settings (the gear icon high on the left), and then the Data tab. Make sure that the Forward Data box is checked, and then click Save and Restart.

The station should now be able to connect again.

From the logs, it appears that the Forward Data box is not checked, so this should solve the problem you are experiencing. If not, please re-send the new logs to see if there have been any changes that could point us towars a solution.

Thank you for your collaboration.