Server Connection Not Connected Problem

I’m experiencing server connection issues which began when I was changing some network settings in an effort to get my shake to operate on a university network instead of at home. I made the mistake of changing the DNS Server (without noting the original setting) and now I can’t connect to the network. I also can’t get realtime wave data from Swarm.

Any advice on what I need to do to get the device back to the original settings would be greatly appreciated.

RSH.R24B1.2020-11-01T07_25_35.logs.tar (2.1 MB)

Hello tadamswa, welcome to the community!

Thank you for explaining the issue and posting the logs. From them, it is possible to see no network can be found to reach the NTP servers (the ones that take care of the time synchronization) and our data servers to upload your recordings. These lines explain the issue:

2020 306 07:17:25: Network detection failed, unable to curl or ping common sites
2020 306 07:17:25: No internet connection found
2020 306 07:17:26: Network detection failed, unable to curl or ping common sites

The first thing you can try (if you haven’t already) is simply to shut down your Shake from the rs.local web interface, then your modem/router, wait a couple of minutes, and then turn on again the modem first and the Shake second, to see if it was a simple issue with the modem/router itself.

If this has not solved the issue, then please shut down your Shake again first, then your modem/router. Wait for a couple of minutes, then restart your modem/router, and when it’s back online, please check from your pc/laptop if the following ports are open (do not start the Shake now):

port 55555 [TCP]
port 55556 [TCP]
port 123 for TCP and UDP traffic in both directions

After checking this, and opening the ports, if needed, please start your Shake, wait for around 10 minutes and then let’s check that your unit can reach our servers. Can you try to SSH into the Shake by entering this command in a prompt (with admin authorization)?

ssh myshake@rs.local

Naturally, if during the configuration you have changed the password, you should input that one, and not the provided default (which is shakeme).

Once you are in, can you try and ping the following addresses?

  • ping -c 10
  • ping -c 10

The first one is the Google server, while the second is our data server. The two commands will execute the exchange ten times, and your expected result is a 0% packet loss for both instances.

I’ll wait for you to try this before going forward.

Followed your suggestions. Simple device restarts did resolve the problem. The ports 55555, 555556, and 123 were not open. I then opened the ports on my router, followed by SSH’ing into the shake. Pinged both addresses, both resulted in 100% packet loss.

The error started with my changing the DNS server #. I would think the problem could be resolved by changing it back to the original setting, but I’m uncertain what that was. Is it supposed to be or was it something different?

Typo in my previous post… “restarts did NOT resolve the problem”. Major difference in meaning. Sorry

Hello tadamswa,

don’t worry, from what you had written it was understandable that the problem was not solved.

To revert the DNS # to the original setting it is sufficient to leave the DNS server field in the page you posted a screenshot of empty. In this way, it will be your modem/router that will assign a # automatically.

Does this solve the issue? To check you can try pinging again the same servers as before once you’ve done.

After you have tried, can you download and attach the new logs here? So we can check for any possible difference. Thank you.

Sorry for the delayed response.

Leaving the DNS field blank and trying to restart didn’t work. I waited over 30 minutes for the restart to go through, but it just never finished the process and I had to do a hard reset by unplugging the power.

The problem is actually resolved now. I obtained a new microSD card, formatted it, and just started over. The device is fully connected now, working like a charm.

It is no problem, thank you all the same for your report!

I’m glad to hear that now the issue has been solved, with the new microSD card. The fault was evidently due to some corrupted files in the old one, and going straight to the source was the best idea.

Enjoy Shaking!