Server connection: Not Connected - no configuration changes

Hi. I’ve tried everything, but my RShake seems to have just stopped communicating with the servers after a few years with no issues. No configuration changes have been made to my home network.

It’s plugged directly into my router now and other devices function normally plugged into the same ports. It’s behaving very strangely over SSH too, pinging anything and the console just doesn’t return any data.

Have I been booted off the servers?

Any help much appreciated. Log files below.

RSH.RB972.2023-05-16T22_26_26.logs.tar (558 KB)

I have done some more faffing around. Changed the network cable and re-flashed the SD. Still the same problem - just showing as not connected. I also can’t set a static IP, I hit save and reboot and it just reboots without storing the settings.

New logs following a reflash below

RSH.RB972.2024-02-19T20_38_35.logs.tar (86 KB)

Hello Matthew, and welcome back to the community.

Thank you for both logs from your Shake. It seems that the instrument cannot find any internet connection in both sets:

Set 1

2023 136 22:22:54: Unable to resolve hostname 'raspberryshake.net', most likely no DNS server available
2023 136 22:22:54: No internet connection found
2023 136 22:23:08: Unable to resolve hostname 'raspberryshake.net', most likely no DNS server available

Set 2

2024 050 20:28:37: Unable to resolve hostname 'raspberryshake.net', most likely no DNS server available
2024 050 20:28:37: No internet connection found
2024 050 20:28:51: Unable to resolve hostname 'raspberryshake.net', most likely no DNS server available

When you turn on the Shake, do the LEDs behave the following way? Technical Specifications (there should be a difference somewhere due to your current situation)

Once SSHed in after the SD re-burn, have you tried pinging Google with ping -c 5 8.8.8.8 (or other websites) to see what happens?

If the interface is not saving the new static IP setup, can you try this alternative way to see if it works? Static IP

Thank you for your collaboration.

Hi Stormchaser - thanks for coming back to me
LEDs were all good apart from the green light on the ethernet port (no green light at all, just orange)
Pinging an external IP address in the terminal just returned ‘destination host unreachable’ but pinging a LAN address was fine.
Setting the static IP over SSH did work.

I have sort of given up troubleshooting and have swapped the Pi board out for a newer Pi 4. This now works. Very strange behaviour! Setting the static IP in the new build also didn’t work in the UI, had to use SSH - don’t know whether that might be a bug?

Is there a way to declare an old station defunct?

Thanks for your help!

Hello Matthew, no problem at all!

What you did was, in fact, the fastest way you could go to solve the problem at hand. The lack of the green light on the Ethernet port could suggest that something on the other (old) Pi board was not working properly, but more troubleshooting is needed to precisely understand what.

… don’t know whether that might be a bug?

If the issue persisted, then yes, there might be something there. I have passed the info to our software team so that they can take a look. I have tried to replicate it, but I was able to set a static IP on my Shake without problems, so there are various elements to consider.

Is there a way to declare an old station defunct?

This will be automatic. The old station name will still appear on your personal ShakeNet as a means of keeping a history of your instruments, and our system will also automatically set an EndDate parameter so that it knows the station is not transmitting any more.

You’re welcome!