Server Connection: Not Connected, and password issue

Hello RP_NS,

You are right, the command was incorrect, and the following is instead the correct one:

nc -zv raspberryshakedata.com 55555; nc -zv raspberryshakedata.com 55556

which is the second that you have executed in any case.

This second one has provided a “connection timed out” result, so that confirms that the Shake cannot communicate with our servers via the two ports.

It is possible that the ports are open, but the firewall and/or the networks are configured in such a way that the IP or MAC address of the Shake have to be added to the exceptions for it to connect.

I advise you to bring the Shake to your home and connect it to your local network. If it connects as it should, then the issue is in your office network, otherwise, we can see what to do from this side.

The device is working fine and it connects at other locations. The issue does seem to be with the office network firewall.

The firewall in the office (where the problem is happening) is managed using FortiGate. The IT admin opened the three ports (55555, 55556, 123), but the device could not connect. So, he tried opening all ports, and then the device worked there as well, indicating that more ports besides the three might need to be open. However, due to security reasons, he suggested that it would be unsafe to keep all ports open all the time.

So, the question is, besides those three ports, are there any other ports that need to be opened? The objective is to open exactly those ports, and not all the ports.

Hello RP_NS,

A complete list of the ports that need to be opened is available here on our manual: Firewall issues? — Instructions on Setting Up Your Raspberry Shake

Usually, the suggested three are what is necessary for the Shake to be connected to our servers and to acquire a stable time synchronization service. But you can crosscheck with your IT manager and see if there is a port missing in our list!

If this is the case, please communicate it to us, so that we can update the information in our documentation.

Hi Stormchaser,
The device (RBBE5) is fully functional now after opening port 53, Our IT admin figured this out after a thorough examination of the firewall settings.

The manual does not mention port 53, which is used by DNS. I believe this is usually open in most devices, so it was not mentioned.

In summary, the device was made functional in this case after following these two steps:

1. Repairing corrupted microSD by cloning the OS image from another functional Raspberry Shake.
  2. Opening ports 55555, 55556, 123 and 53, among others.

I believe this issue is fully resolved now. Stormchaser, thank you once again for all the detailed instructions!
In the coming months we will deploy 10 devices in different parts of the country, and I hope this experience will help us complete the process smoothly.

2 Likes

Hello RP_NS,

Thank you for getting back to me with this new information, and again, you’re welcome, it was a pleasure to collaborate with you and get everything ready to work! We will run a couple of tests and then modify our documentation accordingly.

We will be eagerly waiting for the data from these new Shakes, which, hopefully, will present fewer connections issues than this one. In any case, as you rightly stated, this experience will definitely be of help.

If anything else will be needed in the coming weeks/months, you know where to contact me!

P.s. Could you please attach the logs from the fully working and connected Shake? So that we will have some technical elements to validate our tests? Thank you!

Hi, here are the log files after the issues were solved:
RSH.RBBE5.2021-08-06T12_14_37.logs.tar (3.0 MB)

1 Like