RS4D with LTE USB key as a stand alone deployement

Hello,

I want to install a RS4D stand alone with solar pannels and 4G router to receive datas in real time. Did you test with 4G keys like Huawey’s? https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B011BRKPLE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thank you in advance,

Regards,

Alison

Hello Alison,

We have tested a couple of Huawei 4G routers, you can see the details at this page of our manual: How to setup USB GPRS — Instructions on Setting Up Your Raspberry Shake

However, while having a standalone installation is 100% feasible, there are many types of GPRS/3G/4G modems/dongles and each of their installations/ configurations is completely different.

The examples in the page will serve to give you an idea what needs to be done, but you may need to Google your way to success.

1 Like

Hi Giuseppe,

We have not yet tested the 4G key, but project partners say that there is electromagnetic interference. Have you ever noticed this?

Maybe we’ll use a 4G router. It will also be better for computer security.

Our installation consists :

• two RS4D in pillar ends of the Fos bridge in Pyrénées ;

• photovoltaic panels with power managment (controller, convertisser, regulator, …) ; Do you have an exemple of installation with characteristics ?

• router4G

(simplified diagram of the bridge seen from above in attachment).

How many meters must the photovoltaic panels and router4G be so that there are no electromagnetic interference with RS4D ?

RS4D works with 5V DC and the router 12V DC. So we must find a system to supply 5V for RS4D. I have heard of the POE. Would it be possible to power the RS4Ds via the ethernet cable and the router4G ? Is it reliable ? Because we want to intervene as little as possible on the site because we are far away.

Does the router have to have particular functionality for the POE ? And for the ethernet cable, what type do you recommend for outdoor use?

Best regards,

Alison Colombain

1 Like

Hello Alison,

it is a very interesting project, and a great plan for a remote stand-alone installation!

Regarding the 4G interference, the router and LAN cable type, I verify with our tech team and answer you back as soon as I have news.

Yes, our Shakes require at least 2.5A and between 5.0V and 5.2V to function properly, so a reliable power supply is required. It is not possible, because of reliability, to power it via the LAN cable, so you will require both connections (LAN and power) for each one of the Shakes.

I’ll have more updates in the coming days.

1 Like

And here they are:

Yes, we know of the possible issues with 4G comms. Our recommendation is to put the Shake as far away from the tx/rx equipment as possible/reasonable. Unfortunately, we don’t know a “minimum safe distance”, so it can only be determined by trial and error.

It is recommended that the LAN cable is a CAT6, and as stated, no, our Shake OS does not support POE so there will have to be a power cable running from the power supply to the instruments.

I hope that this information can give you a bit of help for the project you have in mind.

1 Like

Hi Giuseppe,

Thank you for the clarification. We have never done such an installation !

We are thinking about installing 2 or 3 sensors with the same photovoltaic panel and the same router. But if we put a sensor at each end, there will be almost 100 m of ethernet and electric cable 200 m (back and forth). Do you think this is achievable ?

According to my calculations, for a sensor 50m from the power supply system, a 35 mm² cable is needed and 50 mm² for 100m.

The datasheet indicates approximatively 80 Mb/day/RS4D about transferred data. The router’s ethernet port speed is is 10/100 Mbps and at worst the 2G connection is up to 240 kbps. Can you tell me if something seems unsuitable to you please ?

Other question, if we cannot drill the ground to fix the sensor, can we peg RS4D on a small concrete slab ?

Best regards,

Alison

1 Like

Hello Alison,

Neither have we, so it is a very interesting endeavour to follow!

I agree with your estimations, and the only alternative to poor data transmission I can think of (if you see that this could become a problem) is to equip each Shake with a USB storage, and configure it as the manual suggests: How to mount a USB to store the waveform archive — Instructions on Setting Up Your Raspberry Shake

You can also put the Shakes on concrete slabs, there are many users that have done so with good data collection results.

If you need further assistance, this falls within paid support tasks, so please contact sales@raspberryshake.org for a quote.

1 Like

Hi Giuseppe,

I’m testing a rapsberry AM_R29AB with a MRD455 Westermo 4G router :

The network is configured like this (LAN) :

Router :

IP adress : 192.168.1.1

Subnet mask : 255.255.255.0

RS4D : I change the network parameters according to https://manual.raspberryshake.org/staticip.html#staticip :

Edit this file using “nano”, for example:

1 Like

Hello Alison,

I think that part of your message is missing. Could you please post it again, or edit the previous one?

Thank you.

1 Like

Hi Giuseppe,

I’m testing a rapsberry AM_R29AB with a MRD455 Westermo 4G router :

The network is configured like this (LAN) :

Router :

IP adress : 192.168.1.1

Subnet mask : 255.255.255.0

RS4D : I change the network parameters according to Static IP — Instructions on Setting Up Your Raspberry Shake :

Edit this file using “nano”, for example:

$ sudo nano /etc/dhcpcd.conf

Add these lines to the end of the file:

If using ethernet connection:

interface eth0

static ip_address=192.168.1.2

static routers=192.168.1.1

static domain_name_servers=192.168.1.1

static subnet_mask=255.255.255.0

The router ping the RS4D and the RS4D ping internet for the both IP :

104.200.16.60 –c 10

After 24 hours, the RS4D is avalaible in swarm but isn’t available in station view

The IP adress of SIM card of the routeur is dynamique but we connecte us with Dynamique DNS service No-IP.

Is this a problem for the RS4D to send data to your servers ?

Do you have to configure the ports forwarding or the RS4D connects directly when it has internet?

Also, we have found the Tracopower converter 12V DC to 5V DC : ref TEN 15-1211

The datasheet : https://docs.rs-online.com/b761/0900766b8172f3ee.pdf

The 12 V battery with photovoltaic panels will be connected to the input. And the output current is 3 A.

We are thinking of using 3 converters for the 3 RS4D.

What do you think ?

Thank you,

Best regards,

Alison

1 Like

Hello Alison,

thank you for re-sending your original message. Regarding the connection issues, I can now see your Shake R29AB well connected and streaming to our servers. Here you can see it on StationView RS StationView and also on the ShakeApp.

For everything else on the hardware side of things, this falls within paid support tasks, so please contact sales@raspberryshake.org for a quote.

1 Like

Hi Giuseppe,

Do you know precisely the power consumption ? Wheither it’s 2,5 amps all Time or just specific time. For the electrical installation with photovoltaic pannels, we need to know precisely so as not to under-size or over-size the installation.

Thank you
Best regards,
Alison

Téléchargez Outlook pour iOS

1 Like

Hello Alison,

you can find the actual power consumption of the Shakes in this section of our manual: Technical Specifications — Instructions on Setting Up Your Raspberry Shake

You can also take example from real-wolrd installations similar to the one you have in mind, always on our manual here: Recommendations for remote installations — Instructions on Setting Up Your Raspberry Shake and here: Solar Power Recommendations — Instructions on Setting Up Your Raspberry Shake

1 Like