Rs3d outdoor north orientation

Hi,

I feel that this is a silly question but…I can’t find where is indicated the North direction in my RS3D outdoor type in order to orientate It correctly…

Thanks!

Mar

Hello Mar, welcome to the community!

Not a silly question at all, don’t worry.

If you look at the RS3D through the transparent cover of the outdoor enclosure you will see a blue board on top of the Raspberry Pi (the Shake board). On its right side (the one opposite to all the USB and LAN ports) there is a small white arrow which has to be pointed towards the N.

Here’s a couple of images that should help you:

Ouch! Yes!!! Find It!
Thank you so much!

1 Like

No problem at all!

Glad to have been of help! Enjoy Shaking!

Hi, glad I saw this because I was unaware of the required N orientation that is required. What is the best way to set this up? Just place a compass on top? (We are a school that has received it but yet to set it up)

1 Like

Hello NptSTEM, welcome to our community!

Yes, a compass would be the fastest way, or, if you know how your building is oriented (which wall points in which direction) then you can simply rotate the Shake to be parallel (or perpendicular, or another angle) to a wall that you have taken as a reference.

If you have a standard compass it would be better because, in my testing experience, the ones on your phone are more affected by the magnets inside the geophone sensor (the golden one). Having the compass put at a certain distance (mine works well a couple of hands away from the Shake) will result in maximum accuracy.

If you need anything else, I remain available.