RS1D stops transmitting data every few hours

Hello, again I am having problems with my RS1D, code AM.R351A; in these last few weeks, every time I plug in my RS1D, it stays with a certain number of hours transmitting data, but then it disconnects as if it was turned off but in reality that is not the case.

The yellow light that corresponds to the fact that it is connected to WiFi via LAN Cable, stops blinking and turns off completely, causing its disconnection.

I have tried to change the microSD card, format it in the corresponding format (It is 32GB), but even so the problem is not solved.

I have restarted the RS1D every time this message appears (unplugging it and plugging it in) I have tried other plugs and the same thing happens. There is no pattern of hours in which this happens. It is random. It can happen every 2 hours, or every 6 hours. There are times that it has spent +10 hours transmitting data but then it stops out of nowhere.

I need a quick solution to this problem since I have not found a solution on my own and it leaves me with anguish and unanswered doubts.

-Greetings
-Sebastian.

Hello Sebastian,

I’m sorry to hear about these issues reappearing with your Shake; I hoped we had fixed them for good.

In any case, no issue. As you have already tried something, and the gaps in the stream are still there after a time, can I please ask you to download the logs (instructions can be found here, if needed: Please read before posting!) and post them here?

Thank you.

Hello Stormchaser, I really appreciate that you were able to take me on the case again.

Here are the LOGS of my RS1D “AM.R351A”

Now I’m having problems again

RSH.R351A.2023-08-31T12_02_30.logs.tar (3.6 MB)

2 Likes

No problem at all, always availabe to help!

Thank you for the logs; I can see where the issue may be. Could I please ask you to:

1. shut down both the Shake and your modem/router
  2. disconnect the Shake power and LAN cables
  3. start the modem/router again and wait for it to regain internet connection
  4. reconnect the Shake power and LAN cables
  5. turn the Shake on again
  6. wait for two/three hours, download the new logs and send them here?

I would like to have freshly started Shake logs, which will luckily have both good data transmissions and interruptions, to compare with the logs you’ve just sent me. Thank you!

Thanks you again por the help, I go to do the restart of the modem and the RS1D in a few hours more because right now I’m not in my house

When I have the new LOGS, I go to send it to you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Stormchaser! I just do it the restard of the modem and the Shake. I go to wait the two/three hours and send it to you the new LOGS.

1 Like

Hello! here are the new LOGS, with 2 hours and +17 minutes after having performed the reset.

RSH.R351A.2023-08-31T19_27_47.logs.tar (1.9 MB)

1 Like

Hello,

Thank you for the new logs and for taking the time to get them after a couple of hours! From your last reboot, it seems that the Shake is now transmitting good live data, with only a brief interruption:

In any case, from the logs, the booting process is fine, and the Shake bot starts and connects to the internet without issues. However, these lines in the logs, tell us that there is something going on between the boards and the sensors:

2023 242 23:25:32>>	UUTBQUHIàQ U‹
2023 242 23:25:32>>	Qªd…c UҁE]HªQHIàE®ÔEE†‹Q‹
2023 242 23:25:32>>		16247	268
2023 242 23:25:32>>	No Data has been received from the MCU in 12 read attempts.It appears the MCU is not transmitting data.  This is a fatal condition and should be investigated if this condition persists!
2023 242 23:25:32>>	Data has been successfully received, fatal condition resolved.

As you can see, there are errors mixed with some ‘gibberish’ that cannot be successfully interpreted. My first thought would be to check and see if the power supply is delivering a stable voltage between 5.0 and 5.2V and a current of at least 2.5A at all times, as a decrease in power could lead to data services interruption. If the data interruptions continue to happen, and if you have another Pi power supply that you know is in working condition, please try to exchange the current one with that, and see if the Shake now properly works for longer periods.

A second check that you can do is to see if all the connections between the sensor, the blue Shake board, and the Pi board are still solid and free from dirt or any other element that could compromise transmission. As usual, if you decide to disassemble the Shake when doing this, please make sure you are using proper ESD (ElectroStatic Discharge) protection (such as gloves, etc.), as electronics do not like static electricity too much.

Other than this, please do continue to monitor the Shake behavior, and maybe check if the data interruption happen more or less at the same time of the day, or only during the weekend/weekday (and at what time), because it could also be that your local power grid is subject to temporary power levels drops that could cause what you are seeing.

Hi Stormchaser, sorry if I haven’t responded to you earlier. I was busy for much of the day yesterday and today

Just about 10 minutes ago I noticed that a new data interruption was made, it is probably the Internet since the only light that goes out is the Yellow one, from Shake; the red and blue light remain permanently on so I doubt that the Amps and Volts have a variation.

However, if it happens again often, I will make the same progress as you mentioned above. Thank you very much for your help, greetings from Chile :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello ISeba,

No problem at all; I’m always available here!

Great, whenever you can, keep an eye on things so that we can be sure of one cause or another. If you then require anything else, you know where to find me. A big hello from the UK! :wink:

1 Like