RS detecting quakes problem

Hello, my Raspberry Shake (1D) is having problems with detecting earthquakes, there was a magnitude 5 earthquake a few hours ago, and several nearby stations did detect it but mine was the opposite. I put it in various places in my locality and nothing.

Hello jboutet,

It is a matter of location, positioning, background noises and many other factors that can affect the reception of a quake.

I made a comparison between the two shakes (one’s yours) that you have listed in SWARM:

As you can easily see, even the station that detected it had a very low Counts level (max around 600), which means that even for that location, it was detected as a weak event.

In comparison, yours was swamped with local noise, which reached around 1000 Counts at the time of the quake, and thus the event was completely swallowed by the noise itself, almost not appearing at all.

You have, as the spectrogram and the power spectra charts show, a source of local low frequency noise that just engulfs these weak events, not showing them even with basic filtering.

Thank you, so where do you recommend putting my RS system in a building?

You’re welcome.

You can install your Shake in almost any location in your home, under your desk or even in a seismic vault but for best results, install your Raspberry Shake on the bare floor (no carpet) and not on top of your desk. A good location for the Shake would likely be on the concrete slab of the lowest floor, near a foundation wall and away from furnaces, washing machines, air conditioners and such.

@jboutet16 can you share a photo of your Shake?

Thank you!

branden

1 Like

Here you go.

This is where I had it because I have the ethernet cable in this place. If there was another way to have the Raspberry in another place, I would have put it in a very closed and isolated place.

Thank you

Can you send a photo of the RS inside the can? Thanks!

Good Afternoon, this problem now is getting worse. The Counts now is up to 6,000 counts. And the 5 magnitude earthquake yesterday didn’t detect anything.
There’s is multiple places closed that I can put my Raspberry Shake but the internet cable is another problem.
The internet cable limits me a lot.
I nearly have my RS in my dining table (near everyone in the house) and that is the only place where there’s the internet cable.

Please help me.

Hello,

Do you have wireless in the house? If so, you can do as I did and use a wireless bridge like this:
https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Wireless-Travel-Router-TL-WR902AC/dp/B01N5RCZQH/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=Portable+wireless+bridge&qid=1617150661&sr=8-2

Then you can connect from the Shake to the bridge with an ethernet cable and place your shake anywhere you can get a wireless signal. It freed me from the tyranny of the cable, and could work for you, too.

Regards,

Bob

1 Like

The fact that the Shake is so close to household activity is the likely cause that events are not captured properly.

I can see from the spectrogram that the signal is swamped with noise at all frequencies, so you can try Bob’s solution with a WiFi adapter (but bear in mind that this could introduce signal spikes every now and then, due to the wireless communication) or buy a longer LAN cable so that you can place the Shake in a less noisy environment.

Great! Thank you so much! But this router can connect to a network once or I can connect another network with it?

My solution doesn’t cause RF issues, because you can locate the wireless bridge away from the device with an ethernet jumper.

Jboutet16 - you need an existing home wireless network to use this solution.

1 Like

Thank you all so much for the help!
Now my RS is on 40-60 counts instead of 10,000!
Also, I changed my RS to another place so can the RS Team restore my R69E9 in the StationView network.
The router really helped me!!!

1 Like

jboutet16: I am so happy to hear that this helped. I hope you have much success with your shake.

Regards,

Bob

3 Likes

@jboutet16 Your Shake is now visible again on StationView: RS StationView

Glad that you were able to solve your issues!

1 Like