RIP RS4D... Vault killed it

TAKE REALLY GOOD CARE PROJECTING A VAULTS!

…and all the thermal barrier theory from gimnasium.

Anyhow, after few days offline, decided to make a hard reset and… nothing… and again… nothing… opened a vault and surprise, surprise…

Humidity buildup and saturation was enormous, it literally consumed RPI and thanks to some electrolytic processes it continued to spread all around… despite almost 20 cm of styrofoam insulation between inner core of the vault and outer cover.

Was almost ready to throw away a slimy sludge, but curiosity killed a cat - after washing, case as new, RPi completely dead, RS4D has a power and nothing more (power Led still on), geophone no clue (RS4D dead) and SD card miraculously survived!!!

New Rpi, resoldered contacts… to no avail. SMD technology out of reach in this lifetime.

Wondering about a price of RS4D board only.

Milan

1 Like

Pozz Milane.
Imam jedan board sa geofonom ali RS1D ako želis možda.

Marco

2 Likes

Hi Milan,
Just some advice if you’re going to use the vault again but if you can add some Desiccant in a fabric bag that can help cut down on the humidity levels in the vault.

You can also get monitors like this that can connect to your phone and give you temp/humidity levels in the vault.

2 Likes

Hello there,

Unfortunately, bucket was full of silica gel dessicant bags, which had no chance.

Thermal barrier between vault itself and cover of the pit was broken in several parts - my fault, changed the steel cover few weeks ago. Between bucket top and steel were some 30 cm of styro foam, not enough for termo/humidity excursions this winter. Now I am firmly convinced that construction foam in spray is solution, despite my absolute aversity in use of it. Construct it, spray it with expansion foam and run away - nasty stuff and it takes some significant time to cure completely.

Anyhow, thank you for care,
BR

Milan

1 Like

Ciao Marco,

milanchow@protonmail.com

Kad god stigneš, zainteresovan…

Hvala
Milan

1 Like

Milane poslao sam ti email nista nisi odgovorio, pogledaj spam…

Marco

1 Like