Retrieving helicorder data for a specific date

Good Afternoon,

I cannot pull helicorder data from Jan 10, 2019 for my RS station, AM.RAD87, in SWARM. How long is data stored in that app? I can use the menu, shown below, to retrieve data for about 2 months back, but no further?

Hi Kristi,

Swarm pulls data from whatever data source it is connected to, so it depends on the source. If the source is your Shake, the availability is controlled by the size of the SD card and the number of days specified in the ā€œwaveform data savingā€ field on the data config page of the web front end. If the source is our server, data older than a few months ago is not currently accessible via FDSN due to server capacity (it is archived but currently offline). I am waiting on an answer from our admin as to how long the current capacity is. The good news is that we will be increasing the server capacity greatly in the coming months and this archived data will all come back online.

Ian

Okay, this is very good to know, tooā€¦thanks! I am trying pull seismograms across TX stations (noted in recent email) of the Jan 10, 2019 M4.7 earthquake event (epicenter in W Texas). I want to investigate which BP filters capture that event the best. Also want to demonstrate how effective, or not, RSs can detect small regional eqā€™s in TX.

For me, SWARM is pulling data from the server. So here is what is weirdā€¦the helicorder appears blank when I pull it for that date. BUT, if I click in the blank space, to extract a seismogram, data appears to be presentā€¦??? So I can guess my way around the blank space to find the right timeframe, but I still donā€™t observe the same data I do when using the EQ locator for that event.

How would I change SWARM settings so that I pull from my SD card?

That is strange. What version of SWARM are you using?

Two options:

1. Create a new data source (the top left, yellow button) and point it at
    • IP address of your shake (you can find it in Fing if you donā€™t know it)
    • Port: 16032
    • Timeout: 15
  2. Download files directly from your Shake using FileZilla or directly from the SD card
    • Data is stored in subfolders under /opt/data/archive
    • Filezilla connection parameters:
      • IP address of your shake
      • Port: 22
      • Username: myshake
      • Password: your password (or ā€˜shakemeā€™ if you never changed the default)
    • Go into SWARM > File > Open Filesā€¦ and choose the location you saved the files to
    • You will have to tell SWARM to read the files as miniSEED/SEED
    • Files will open as a new data source and remain until you close SWARM

The current one loaded on the front-end interface. Downloaded it yesterday.

Ok, thatā€™s 2.8.8. Itā€™s possible that an update to 2.8.13 will solve this problem, but Iā€™m not sure. What connection type are you using (Winston, Earthworm, FDSN, or Seedlink)?

I am using Winston, it appears. Where can I download the version 2.8.13?

Just a heads up: I discovered earlier today that 2.8.13 does not load local files properly (remote data sources are fine).
It is available in the zip file here: https://github.com/usgs/swarm/releases/tag/swarm-2.8.13

If you do plan on opening files from a local disk, you will have to use 2.8.8 until the USGS releases a fix for the bug. You can track the bug here: https://github.com/usgs/swarm/issues/301

1 Like

Thank you Ian, gtk. I am loading up the Mars INSIGHT data today - looks like it is going to take a loooooong time to load in jAmaSeis. Have you seen the new, second release yet? Released yesterday, but I know you would be excited to see it like I am :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Absolutely! I am excited to look for some fuzzy earthquakes!