Regular Data Backups - FreeFileSync

I like to save all of my data. I have used a larger SD card to allow me to save 28 days of data but, as we know, SD cards can let us down from time to time. I use the FTP port to copy data and logs onto a Linux server I use. I have been doing this manually using Filezilla and that works fine. The next step was to do this automatically every day just after midnight. I could have written some Python to do this or even a shell script. A Google search turned up a free application called FreeFilesync (https://freefilesync.org/) which works on all platforms. Not only can you use FreeFileSync to synchronise folders between machines (or a cloud) you can set up a schedule too. There are many options but configuration is easy. I back up the log files and the data files to separate directories and this is easily configured. Better still, you can configure the backup to ignore errors. This option is important for us as the active data files are continually changing in size. I can highly recommend it!

1 Like

Yes, I also download the files (to Dropbox) from my 2 RSs and Boom daily, but I use WinSCP

1 Like

As a mainly Linux user then WinSCP is not an option. It does look like is well featured though. Out of curiosity I checked the source (~15MB!) and I see it uses .net. If there is one thing that irritates me it is the size, and regularity of .net upgrades I get on my Windoze boxes. :wink: