Raspberyshake stops transmitting data, every +5 hours, need help

(Again is happening)

Hello, I need help (again) with problems my RaspberryShake (code: AM.R351A)

My milkshake manages to be more than 5 and even more than 10 to 12 hours connected without problem to the Raspberyshake data. Previously it was disconnected every 1 to 2 hours, and apparently it was a card problem. I have replaced the card (which is currently 32GB) formatted to Fat32, and likewise, with the SD card image files, and again is happening.

Now. What will be what will be interrupting the fluid data frequency? I need help. Is it probably even a defect of the same Raspberyshake?

Please I need help. To try to clarify this, I attached the logs of my Raspberyshake.

Grettings, Sebastián.

RSH.R351A.2024-01-12T00_19_49.logs.tar (985.5 KB)

Now my raspberryshake is off, but he was able to transmit like for 5+ hours, data to servers! :frowning:

Hello Sebastián,

I’m sorry to hear that you are experiencing more issues with your Raspberry Shake. Thank you for sending the logs and for listing what you have already done.

From the logs themselves, everything appears fine with the Shake booting process, as it starts without issues, finds and internet connection, and manages to “talk” with our servers.

I have also reviewed the data your Shake has sent to our data center, and there appears to be no particular pattern in the data interruptions. When the Shake is on, everything is working fine, so the instrument is in good conditions.

Could I please ask you to, if this issue appears again and it does so when you can act quickly, to restart the Shake after a data interruption, wait around 10 minutes, and then download/send the new logs? I would like to see if logs acquired just after a data stop contain more information on the issue you are facing.

Thank you for your collaboration.

1 Like

Hello Stormchaser! Good morning (at least here in Chile), I hope you are well.

Well, last night after I sent that screenshot that the shake stopped transmitting data; I restarted it 3 times, waiting at each interval, about 10 seconds.

Currently, my shake has transmitted data without problems for +12 hours, as proof I attached this screenshot.

Maybe it’s the internet, but anyway, if the data outage happens again, I’ll do what you mentioned.

In advance, thank you very much for your help and patience.

1 Like

Hi Stormchaser, I hope u are good!

Well, again is happening, after +24 hours online with transmitting solid data, my RS again off the data; I restart the Shake

and like you told me, I waited 10 minutes or more. I attach the new logs.

Greetings

Sebastian

RSH.R351A.2024-01-13T03_04_02.logs.tar (1.3 MB)

1 Like

Hello Sebastián,

Thank you for taking the time to do this, and download the new logs when needed! They show that the problem is, as you have imagined, with the internet connection.

After no issues for hours (as you have noticed, up to 12+, or less in some other cases), it appears that the connection drops and it is not regained until you manually reboot the Shake. I am not sure why this is happening, but I have a couple more questions for you:

1. Is your Shake connected only by Ethernet cable, or via both Ethernet and WiFi?
  2. These connection drops, have they started again recently after a period of no issues, or have (more or less) always been there?

Thank you again.

May be worth noting that I posted an entry about my shake not recovering from a network outage.
It does recover from short ones, but it didn’t recover from this longer one - a reboot fixed it.
Just a guess, but it looks like something times out and does not recover?

My post for a full description and logs:

Hello Stormchaser, sorry for not answer in this few hours. I was out of my house this morning and now I’m available.

First, I wanted to thank you for the availability and help you have offered me. Eternally grateful. For taking the time to respond to me and take my case once again.

Clarifying your doubts:

1. My RaspberryShake is connected via Ethernet cable, and when there are internet outages, the general signal is lost, so it is very likely that I will have to change my internet provider.

2. Connection drops are random. My internet is not fiber optic, it is cable, which means that, for example, when there are incidents such as cable cuts or power outages, there is a more severe problem.

So, in general, answering everything, it is very likely that it is a problem with the internet provider, as well as the type of internet that reaches my house.

Thanks for everything Stormchaser. I know I can count on your help in the future if I have new incidents.

Finally, I would like to ask you a question. Can the fact that I restart the shake manually, unplugging and plugging it in, at some point harm the seismograph?

Greetings
-Sebastian.

Hello Sebastián,

You’re always welcome, it’s no problem at all, and I am happy to help where I can.

As the case is as you’ve explained (thank you for all the details) then, yes, I would recommend looking around for a different internet provider that could offer a stable connection for your Shake. Or, at least, not so many service interruptions.

To answer your last question, we do not recommend doing it so much as it could damage/corrupt files on the microSD card and force you to do a re-burn. Instead of forcibly shutting down the Shake, you could reboot (or turn off/on) your modem/router when the internet is back. With some of them, this should be enough for the Shake to perceive that the internet connection has been restored, and then connect again.

It’s worth a try to see if it works.