Problems installing Cartopy

Been trying to install Cartopy for about a week now, I get countless errors.
Anyone know how to fix this?
ImportError: DLL load failed while importing _network: The specified module could not be found.

Thanks, Matt

Hello Matt,

I don’t remember this issue popping up while I was installing Cartopy on my environments, but it is probably related to some other module that is missing.

If you haven’t already seen these two, the links below could be of help:

https://scitools.org.uk/cartopy/docs/latest/installing.html

It may be related to the Shapely module version, too: ImportError DLL load fails for importing cartopy.crs · Issue #2019 · SciTools/cartopy · GitHub

1 Like

Hello Stormchaser, thanks for the reply. I tried doing this stuff already but I tried doing it again and it seemed to work now for some reason, however when I run a script nothing shows up so more trouble shooting to do haha

1 Like

G’Day Matt,

Are you installing python and Cartopy through Anaconda? I had no success at all installing Cartopy using pip and had to resort to Anaconda to get it all to work.

After installing anaconda and python, I created an environment called ObspyCartopy and installed them there so all the necessary prerequisite versions were installed as well.

Al.

1 Like

I have tried installing Cartopy with both Anaconda and Miniconda countless times, I’m thinking of uninstalling python and miniconda and trying with a fresh install of both

Okay so I reinstalled it all but now visual studio won’t recognize the stuff installed in my miniconda environment? I also have the right interpreter selected

Miniconda3 pip list:

Visual Studio pip list:

Im so confused, now matplotlib isn’t found
edit: back to ImportError: DLL load failed while importing _network: The specified module could not be found.

Might try installing it onto my Raspberry Pi tomorrow and see if it’s only a problem with Windows

Okay… I found the problem, it was a visual studio code extension I had installed called code runner :sob:

3 Likes

Glad to hear that you have solved it Matt!

Thanks also for all the troubleshooting steps that you’ve posted here on the forum. They could be of help to others in the community in similar situations.

1 Like