Problem on visualize waveforms using rsudp

Hii, I am a new user to raspberry pi and I want to take advantages of the rsudp to visualize the waveforms from the one of the open station situated here Station View: Raspberry Shake Network & EQ Activity Map . However when i run ‘rs-client’ after changing the setting file on linux command line. I get the error like as follows even if the station data is open and the waveforms can be visualized in the above link. Ip address of the laptop is IP address: 10.10.1.203 Port: 8888. I am using wifi to access the waveforms.

I hope experts may help me organizing the setting file properly. Thanks.

2023-01-18 07:22:21 [Init] Logging initialized successfully.
2023-01-18 07:22:21 Using settings file: /home/xxxx/.config/rsudp/rsudp_settings.json
2023-01-18 07:22:21 Output directory is: /home/xxxx/rsudp
2023-01-18 07:22:21 [RS lib] Initializing rsudp v 1.1.0.
2023-01-18 07:22:21 [openSOCK] Opening socket on localhost:8888 (HOST:PORT)
2023-01-18 07:22:21 [RS lib] Waiting for UDP data on port 8888…
2023-01-18 07:22:31 [Init] ERROR: No data received in 10 seconds; aborting.
2023-01-18 07:22:31 [Init] Check that the Shake is forwarding data to:
2023-01-18 07:22:31 [Init] IP address: 10.10.1.203 Port: 8888
2023-01-18 07:22:31 [Init] and that no firewall exists between the Shake and this computer.

1 Like

Did you set up the 'shake to send the UDP data to your Linux system?
You set it up on this page on the shake (these are for my systems, your IPs will be different):

2 Likes

Thanks, Can we do it for offline systems. Please let me know.

Additionally, those stations which are online as provided in link in question, how to access rs.local, can u plz suggest.

Hello testa, welcome to our community!

Firstly, let me clear some confusion that I think I see from the messages in this thread. RSUDP can be used to live stream data only from local Shakes, that is, Shakes that are connected to the same Local Area Network (LAN) in which RSUDP will operate.

RSUDP cannot stream data from other Shakes outside your LAN. So, if you want to see a live stream from a Shake in another country, your best option is to go to our DataView service (https://dataview.raspberryshake.org/), select the Shake from the list on the left, and then click on the Live Data Display button high on the right.

If you want, instead, to stream real-time data from a Shake in your LAN, then as Philip has indicated, you can set it up from the Shake rs.local/--Settings--DATACAST page by adding the target host IP (the computer on which RSUDP is installed on) and the relative port (usually 8888).

After doing this, please edit the RSUDP $HOME/.config/rsudp/rsudp_settings.json (where $HOME is your home directory) configuration file by adding the Shake code (example, R1234) to it, and save and restart the program.

If there are no firewall issues to solve, then your RSUDP will start streaming live data from your Shake in your local network. If you need more information, then you can use this link to find the complete manual to the software: rsudp 1.1.1 — rsudp documentation

Thank you very much @Stormchaser for your suggestions. However I need clarification on two queries

a) In the setting file under the header forward and rsam, I find the IP address. Could you please confirm that these IP addresses are the IP addresses of the laptop or computer where RSUDP is installed?

"forward": {

"enabled": false,

"address": ["192.168.1.254"],

"rsam": {

"quiet": true,

"fwaddr": "192.168.1.254",

"fwport": 8887,

b) In the setting file under the header rsam: fwport is 8887 what is it I am confused? Shouldn’t it be the same as the port number under the setting header i.e. 8888?

{

"settings": {

"port": 8888,

Hello testa,
(I’ve taken the liberty to edit your answer so that the code reads a bit better)

You’re very welcome, happy to help!

Regarding your questions:

a) In those two sections, forward and rsam, no, the IPs listed are the IP where you want to, respectively, send the data RSUDP is displaying and/or the data for the Real Time Seismic AMplitude (RSAM) module.

Basically, using these two modules via RSUDP, you can forward data to other computers on the same local network for whatever purpose you require.

b) As port 8888 is already in use by other services/modules, having a different forward port is correct. In this way, with port differentiation, you can for example forward overall ground vibration data via port 8888, and also forward rsam data via ‘port 8887’ at the same time.

Hi,

I am having similar issues using Windows 10. I am trying to get RSUDP to visualize the live data from my rasberry shake 4D. I have the shake in off mode, and it is connected to my laptop through an ethernet cable.

When launching the windows-start_rsudp bash script:

Installing from the git directory…
A subdirectory or file C:\Users\XXXX\AppData\Local\Temp\rsudp already exists.
Done.
C:\Users\XXXX\Anaconda3\envs\rsudp\lib\site-packages\pydub\utils.py:170: RuntimeWarning: Couldn’t find ffmpeg or avconv - defaulting to ffmpeg, but may not work
warn(“Couldn’t find ffmpeg or avconv - defaulting to ffmpeg, but may not work”, RuntimeWarning)
C:\Users\XXXX\Anaconda3\envs\rsudp\lib\site-packages\pydub\utils.py:184: RuntimeWarning: Couldn’t find ffplay or avplay - defaulting to ffplay, but may not work
warn(“Couldn’t find ffplay or avplay - defaulting to ffplay, but may not work”, RuntimeWarning)
2023-03-25 14:08:37 [Init] Logging initialized successfully.
2023-03-25 14:08:37 Using settings file: C:/Users/XXXX/.config/rsudp/rsudp_settings.json
2023-03-25 14:08:37 Output directory is: C:\Users\XXXX\Documents\rsudp
2023-03-25 14:08:37 [RS lib] Initializing rsudp v 1.1.1.
2023-03-25 14:08:37 [openSOCK] Opening socket on localhost:8888 (HOST:PORT)
2023-03-25 14:08:37 [RS lib] Waiting for UDP data on port 8888…

I am unsure what IP addresses to put in rs.local/config DATACAST. I put the IP address that I found there: Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address
that starts with 169, and the port is 8888. I used the same IP address then in the setting file that is in /.config/rsudp/rsudp_settings.json for both forward and rsam sections.

I also change the station number to my RXXXX station number.

What am I missing? I thank you in advance for the help.

The IP you put into the datacast is the address of the system where are running RSUDP.

I forward the data to several systems:

1 Like

Hello pdcguy,

if Philip’s suggestion did not work for any reason, could you please post the content of the rsudp_settings.json file of your installation, together with a screenshot of the Datacast tab in your Shake “rs.local/” page?

Thank you.

is it the address of the ethernet port on the system where I am running RSUDP? How do I find the IP address needed?

Here is the setting file

: {
"settings": {
    "port": 8888,
    "station": "R9654",
    "output_dir": "C:\Users\****\rsudp",
    "debug": true},
"printdata": {
    "enabled": false},
"write": {
    "channels": ["all"]},
"plot": {
    "enabled": true,
    "duration": 90,
    "spectrogram": true,
    "fullscreen": false,
    "kiosk": false,
    "eq_screenshots": false,
    "channels": ["all"],
    "deconvolve": true,
    "units": "CHAN"},
"forward": {
    "address": ["169.254.***.**"],
    "port": [8888],
    "channels": ["all"],
    "fwd_data": true,
    "fwd_alarms": false},
"alert": {
    "enabled": true,
    "channel": "HZ",
    "sta": 6,
    "lta": 30,  
  "threshold": 3.95,
    "reset": 0.9,
    "highpass": 0.8,
    "lowpass": 9,
    "deconvolve": false,
    "units": "VEL"},
"alertsound": {
    "mp3file": "doorbell"},
"custom": {
    "codefile": "n/a",
    "win_override": false},
"tweets": {
    "tweet_images": true,
    "api_key": "n/a",
    "api_secret": "n/a",
    "access_token": "n/a",
    "access_secret": "n/a",
    "extra_text": ""},
"telegram": {
    "send_images": true,
    "token": "n/a",
    "chat_id": "n/a",
    "extra_text": ""},
"rsam": {
    "quiet": true,
    "fwaddr": "169.254.***.**",
    "fwport": 8887,
    "fwformat": "LITE",
    "channel": "HZ",
    "interval": 10,
    "deconvolve": false,
    "units": "VEL"}
}

I used the IP address of the ethernet port I am plugging the shake on in datacast and in the json config file… Thanks for the help!

It is the IP of the system that RSUDP is running on.

On Windows, you can find it:

On Linux:

1 Like