PoE+ Viability

I have Shake 3D and was wondering if I put GPIO tall header on Pi if I could use PoE+ to supply power to Pi.
PoE hat GPIO is open, straight through header so physically it would work, I don’t have any sense as to electronically if it will work.
It would make things easier in regards to location where Shake 3D will go and I wont have an extension cord strung to the Pi.
I got a hit on question was asked before but it is from back in October 2019 and technology can change a lot in 2.5 years.

Hellow Yellowfin1,

This is what I use to power my 4D. No need to use the GPIO pins:

–Steve
RS4D - RD29A

2 Likes

I’ve seen those on Amazon. I had already some of the official Paspberry Pi PoE+ hats then realized empty storage room where I plan to put the RS3D had no power.

How are you pushing needed power down ethernet cable?

1 Like

I use a poe switch like this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BP0SSAS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The vault is about 60ft / 18m from the switch.

2 Likes

Hello yellowfin1,

If you need a precise reference of our GPIO pins assignments, we have it here on our manual: Technical Specifications — Instructions on Setting Up Your Raspberry Shake

Thank you for this interesting topic!

Pre Sales question:

If I order the outdoor enclosure, is there space inside it for the aftermarket POE splitter? I want to install the Raspberry Shake in a cave and powering the unit from a POE injector on the surface would be a thousand times easier for a number of reasons.

If there isn’t space, I’ll order the indoor enclosure and make my own enclosure. Maybe that is the best solution anyways?

I’m actually quite surprised that there isn’t a PoE option from RS.

Thanks!

2 Likes

I bought RS3D for inside (not weatherproof) but asked question before I had assemble the RS3D and its enclosure.
There is no room. PoE hat would have to go first in stack, then the board from Raspberry Shake last.
I did not do it in the end because the enclosure would effectively be scrapped and a new enclosure made. On top of that, I don’t think the geophone wires would reach the Shake wire terminals.
In my case it was more of making a more tidy setup and not really an issue of having power available.
So, I just set up like normal.

2 Likes

Hello CrystalCave, welcome to our community!

As yellowfin1 has said, there is no space for a POE splitter inside our IP67 outdoor cases, so the best solution for you would be to buy the indoor turnkey Shake model and then assemble a large enough enclosure for all your needs.

When you finish your project, if you want, please share your assembled unit with all the community since it may be useful for other present and future Shakers!

Thank you.