No rs.local or IP

I recently moved and my RS was not showing up on my new network. I decided to start from scratch, fully reformatted the SD card, loaded the RS operating system for gitlab. My router initially detected the RPi but with no IP address, but eventually it did obtain an address. There was no response to ping on the IP address or to Angry IP Scanner. When I plugged a monitor and keyboard, I saw a normal boot up screen, ending with a login request, which responded to the myshake user and correct password. It would come back with the station name and eventually with the IP address. BTW, the RS is connected directly to the router.

The installation README says: “Your Pi will now boot into NOOBS and should display a list of operating systems that you can choose to install.” This never happens–just the login.

I’m obviously missing something really obvious here, but I’m just not seeing it. As you might surmise, I’m pretty frustrated with this, especially since I’ve had it running previously for years and I have several other systems uploading data such as a PurpleAir, AIS tracker, ADS-B tracker, WX (weewx) and Sense (AC power monitor) all working well.

Stan Stone
MAC address:
B8:27:eb:f2:a9:93

Ping results:
ping: sendto: Host is down
Request timeout for icmp_seq 11
Request timeout for icmp_seq 12
Request timeout for icmp_seq 13
^[ping: sendto: Host is down
Request timeout for icmp_seq 14
Request timeout for icmp_seq 15
Request timeout for icmp_seq 16
Request timeout for icmp_seq 17

Hello swstone, welcome to our community!

Yes, I can understand the frustration when something that should easily work doesn’t, it happened many times with easy-to-do things to me too.

If you haven’t already tried, could I ask you to please try to re-burn the microSD card to see if this behaviour disappears? Or, if you have another microSD card available, to try and burn that one, to see if the element that was causing issues was the previous microSD?

I’ll add the steps below for your convenience, but I’m sure that you already know them:

I followed the numbered list points to burn the files on my SD cards, and I have not used Etcher or similar software.

If this step doesn’t work, we will try to explore other possible options.

Thank you for your collaboration.

Thanks for your reply. I had already done all of the steps you outlined (more than once). I decided to replace the RPi 3-B that had run for years with a RPi 3-B+ used on another project. BINGO! Everything worked fine. Of course I now have a different station ID ( AM.R19A5.00.E[HZ,NZ,NN,NE] ), but that’s okay.

Happy to be back online and thanks again.

1 Like

No problem at all swstone, I’m happy to hear that the Shake is online again!

Thanks also for updating me about the issue, I remember I had to change a Pi board too for another project of mine some time ago, because it was causing similar problems when the OS inside the microSD started to run.

Enjoy Shaking (again)!